Trusted Contributor

What do you use for a toiletry bag when traveling?

Good morning. DH & I will be "hoteling" it for the 1st time in 20 years. Fur babies are all in doggie heaven & we're selling the travel trailer. Have not had to pack a suitcase in 20 years (we went camping so we could take our dogs with us) and now I'm at a loss for what to put my toiletries in when going to hotels. I laid out all of my items so I could see how much room I'd need. Found a couple of bags @ Wal-mart for about $16 but not sure if they are big enough. What do you guys use & where did you find them? Thanks in advance for all your kind answers.

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you use for a toiletry bag when traveling?

Well, if you're flying you'll have to check the toiletries that are more than 3 ounces. That influences how and what you pack. Also, it matters for how long you'll be gone.

I use Bare Minerals for make up, and I have a case like this that I store those in.

Product Details

I am able to carry the make up on as there are no liquids.

I have smaller bottles (not necessarily travel sized) that I use for vacations. The most important quality to me is that they have a waterproof protective barrier.

As a rule, I like train cases. I have one from Vera Bradley.

Product Details

Some people prefer to have one big case, with everything (toiletries and make up) and others use a few smaller bags- cosmetics, shower supplies, skin care, brushes.

Product DetailsProduct Details

There are hanging bags that you can use to vertically display things when you get there.

Product Details

Esteemed Contributor

I buy from Ebags online and buy their packing cubes. Vera Bradley (on sale of course) has some really nice cosmetic bags. I like my bags soft and flat with zippers. The ones that are tall and hard (firm) do not fit as well when I pack them.

Trusted Contributor

I use my Kate Spade large cometic case.

Honored Contributor

I try to choose one make up palette in terms of eye shadows, I use lipstick pencils and those easily fit (2 of them) in my purse. Blush and foundation are another 2 items. Both are powders. Mascara and primer mascara are another 2 items. So now the total is 5 or 6 items for that bag.

Fossil had many years ago in their Key Pers collection a small cosmetic bag which I bought. It is just the size of a cereal bowl with a top zipper. Mine is about: 6.5"L x 3.25"W x 4"H

I try to save the 'sample or gift with purchase' cosmetics to use when I travel. Also nice and able to fit in this sized bag are the various 'roll on' perfumes/eau de toilettes that many many years ago were never available. Many of those 'roll on' type perfumes can be found at Ulta, Sephora and even some department cosmetic counters.

Here is one from Fossil that has 3 in the set and comes in 3 designs. Sale Fossil

Some examples above.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
New Contributor

I use my Clinique cosmetics bags. Lolokimono gave great examples.
Honored Contributor

from hsn.....these work so well for traveling and they come in sets of different sizes.....so you can take as much or as little as you need. they are 248352 by joy mangano. it folds up easily and looks good even just sitting on the counter if you want it to.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

My advice is to definitely get a HANGING bag - sometimes the hotels have limited counter space so it's very convenient to hang the bag on the back of the door when not being used. Also as a bonus I can easily see what I need while it's hanging up and take out what I need. I would go on Amazon and type in hanging toiletry bags - there is a large selection there, many with free shipping. HTH!

HAPPY TRAVELS! Smile

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I did check out Ebags & found an interesting Travelon Independence bag (there is even a video that helps you better visualize what you're getting). I need enough room for shower, hair, and skincare items as well as some cosmetics. Can anyone tell me if most hotels have a hair dryer in the room that I can use?

Honored Contributor

I have used the BE case lolakimono shows above for years. I also have a lime green tiny satchel from M. Asam that is for prescriptions, shampoo, etc. That one is getting pretty beat up, I'll try my Mangano bags next time. I didn't think I would like all the zippers, but it beats buying yet another bag.