Super Contributor

Is linen still a popular summer fabric?

Several years ago, I got a number of linen skirts, jackets, etc. I like the natural fiber but they are a pain to keep looking good.

Is linen still popular? I haven't seen anything linen on QVC for years. Maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is linen still a popular summer fabric?

I think it's getting harder to find all around, but certain places have quite a few items.

Super Contributor

You know, now that you mention it - no, I don't see much linen around at all lately. I'm talking about "out and about", noticing what other folks are wearing. I, personally, don't own any linen for the same reason you gave - hard to keep it looking good throughout the day.

Honored Contributor

I saw a navy blue pair of slacks at Macy's last week. I really wanted them but the wrinkling....I just don't like that wrinkled look but love the fabric!

Esteemed Contributor

Funny you should mention that...I was in line behind a lady just last week at the Costco Pharmacy. She was wearing a khaki colored linen jacket and pants -- I had no doubt that it was linen because it was a wrinkled mess (no offense). I couldn't imagine going out in public like that...it's just impossible to get real linen to stay looking nice especially if you wear it for several hours.

Honored Contributor

I like linen blends, but linen is just too much trouble for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I love,love,love linen, wrinkles and all!

Trusted Contributor

On 7/29/2014 colliegirls said:

I love,love,love linen, wrinkles and all!

Me too.

Valued Contributor

As I read your reviews I said to myself, these must be ladies who have grown up with primarily synthetic fibers. Linen is one of the coolest fabrics you will ever wear in the summer. It is a coarser fiber than cotton (although there are different deniers in the fiber threads for both fabrics) and because of the fiber and the fact it was once a living entity it absorbs moisture and swells. Once it dries down, it wrinkles. Have you ever ironed a linen tablecloth? Takes forever and you have to go over several times. Linen is supposed to be soft; not starched and ironed. I wear my very expensive Ralph Lauren, Eileen Fisher etc linens; wrinkled. I wash and do not iron. By the way, synthetic fibers do not absorb moisture and are hotter, easier to maintain and do not fade. Guess there is a trade off. I love wrinkled linen; good linen is very expensive. I have horribly expensive real linen sheets from Portugal and they are the coolest sheets I have; including silk. When I see wrinkled linen, my mind says, yes, that's the good stuff. Different strokes for different folks!!!

Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 HAPPY LADY said:

As I read your reviews I said to myself, these must be ladies who have grown up with primarily synthetic fibers. Linen is one of the coolest fabrics you will ever wear in the summer. It is a coarser fiber than cotton (although there are different deniers in the fiber threads for both fabrics) and because of the fiber and the fact it was once a living entity it absorbs moisture and swells. Once it dries down, it wrinkles. Have you ever ironed a linen tablecloth? Takes forever and you have to go over several times. Linen is supposed to be soft; not starched and ironed. I wear my very expensive Ralph Lauren, Eileen Fisher etc linens; wrinkled. I wash and do not iron. By the way, synthetic fibers do not absorb moisture and are hotter, easier to maintain and do not fade. Guess there is a trade off. I love wrinkled linen; good linen is very expensive. I have horribly expensive real linen sheets from Portugal and they are the coolest sheets I have; including silk. When I see wrinkled linen, my mind says, yes, that's the good stuff. Different strokes for different folks!!!

Oh, I agree that linen feels cool and is a practical choice in summer. All of your points are valid. I just can't get past feeling like a wrinkled mess, you know? Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much on my days off, but I just know that I couldn't wear it on work days and feel put together - does that make sense? lol