Occasional Contributor

HELP--Slim hips-Have a Tummy-Little to no Butt- But I Need Pants

I need help finding pants. I am narrow in the hips, but have a bit of a tummy. I am usually a size 12. I can't find pants that don't flare out in the hips and look like I have clown pants on. Even the modern fit in Christopher and Banks are too big in the hips most of the time. Does anyone have a designer or fit they can recommend?

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP--Slim hips-Have a Tummy-Little to no Butt- But I Need Pants

What kind of waist do you like?

Occasional Contributor

ECGB -- I prefer regular waist and not elastic, but will do either. I am thicker in waist so sometimes the hip is good but too small in waist. Can't seem to get both together.

Frequent Contributor

Though larger than you, I am built the same. Finding traditional pants to fit without "baggy butt" is next to impossible. Jeans are a little easier as you can go with a lower rise and avoid that "I can't breathe" waist. So, my most recent purchases have all been elastic waists. My favorites, at the moment, are: Lands End Starfish Pants (several options to choose from); Susan Graver Lustra Knit Skinny Pant - A7932 (also available in petite - A7933 or tall - A211443); Women with Control Slim Leg Pant - A213523.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

My figure is the same as yours. If you find a fixed waistline (button and zipper) that fits, the hips and rear will be too baggy. So, I do not buy pants unless there is stretch in the waist. I wear, from HSN: Diane Gilman jeggings or any of her pants with stretch/elastic waist -- warning, her most recent fashions have changed and it can be hard to figure out what size to get, but you'd most likely order a size 10 in DG; Giuliana Rancic military pants or her harem/blouson pants with elastic waist; DKNY jeans (great fit for larger waist/thin legs/no rear). Other than those vendors at HSN, I have Chico's Travelers ("No Tummy") pants in my wardrobe (several years old but still good), and other pants and skirts with a stretch/elastic waistline. You're right that we can't find a regular waist that also fits in the hips!

Occasional Contributor

Thank you cjmcp, I appreciate your reply. I will look into those you suggested. Have a good rest of the day.

Honored Contributor

Hon they won't let me post my reply because I had too much from another store in what I pasted!

I am a traditional hour glass and have to have a small waist I wear Dillard's Investments all year except in the summer and I wear Belks Rafella for curvy girls (they also have a slim girls pant. Their fabric is fantastic! Finally a white pant that is a beautiful woven instead of hard cotton.

Dillard's Investments does have a panel to hold in the tummy. For all the postage you're going to have to pay trying all these items, I'd go to several stores and try on, then take them to the cleaners and have the waist taken in to get that custom fit. I simetimes tailor mine, but I'm lucky because I taught it!

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

I have the skinny hips and a little butt too. I do have a flat tummy though. Skinny hips mean you can wear any kind of jean/pant..and snugly. Heck, models have the same torso. Just make sure the pant or jean is not for "curvy" women. Avoid that word curvy. Otherwise the sides billow out a little while standing straight. Make sure the back pockets are embellished or at least have a mid sized pockets. Dress pants or skirts should be worn with some kind of detail or drape on the back. With a large belly make sure the jean is high waisted, other wise you get a muffin top. You can wear any elastic or flat front jean. If you wear a belt, make sure it's the same color as the pant. Makes your waist appear very small.

Honored Contributor

I have no butt either, thicker waist, no real hips. Kinda like a tree trunk, lol, straight down. I wear a Size 6

I order almost all my pants/jeans from WHBM. They always fit. No bumps in the hips!

Occasional Contributor

On 7/29/2014 ECBG said:

Hon they won't let me post my reply because I had too much from another store in what I pasted!

I am a traditional hour glass and have to have a small waist I wear Dillard's Investments all year except in the summer and I wear Belks Rafella for curvy girls (they also have a slim girls pant. Their fabric is fantastic! Finally a white pant that is a beautiful woven instead of hard cotton.

Dillard's Investments does have a panel to hold in the tummy. For all the postage you're going to have to pay trying all these items, I'd go to several stores and try on, then take them to the cleaners and have the waist taken in to get that custom fit. I simetimes tailor mine, but I'm lucky because I taught it!

What do you think?

Thank you, I do shop at Dillards and the Investments work fine until I try to button them. If they were just a bit bigger in waist {#emotions_dlg.crying} I will just keep trying them on...at least work off some calories with how many I have to try on Smile