Respected Contributor

Five-Year-Old Inventory Item, A91144 - Marked UP

So I'm sitting at home doing some computer work, QVC on the TV with volume down. I looked up and saw A91144, a Denim & Co. cotton knit top with some overlay and embroidery detail. This is one of the rare tops in Denim & Co. that suits my style, and it is 100% cotton. I have always held off on purchasing it, though, because of the generally unfavorable reviews and the price, which seems high for an embellished t-shirt. It has a 3.5/5.0 star rating.

It's on a buy more and save, generally something that QVC does when it wants to clear out inventory. So I checked the online listing, and there it was. The last time it was aired, the price was $35.00.

NOTHING has changed since then, but the price has gone up $1.00. I suppose this is to take back some of that $4.00 discount the purchaser would get if she purchased two or more.

Still, I have never seen any other retailer, anywhere, marking up five year old stock. I'm one of QVC's newer customers and constantly amazed, generally not in a good way.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Five-Year-Old Inventory Item, A91144 - Marked UP

Thanks crystaltree! Now I have coffee on my screen! Literally laughed out loud.
Honored Contributor

When I worked at Zales & they had a sale they would take a markup & then a markdown. LOL!!! Not much of a sale.

Respected Contributor

I get her point. "Sale" to Q is a bad word. It seems they just never want to offer lower prices, especially on items where logic would dictate that they should go on sale.Smile

Honored Contributor

It has gone up only one dollar? Walk in any store and their clothing has gone up a lot more than a dollar no matter how long they have had it.

I think this top may be a popular one so they continue to restock it; doesn't mean the tops are five years old....if OP is a new customer, how does she determine its age?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/29/2014 santorini said:

I get her point. "Sale" to Q is a bad word. It seems they just never want to offer lower prices, especially on items where logic would dictate that they should go on sale.Smile

So do I. A five-year old item deserves a decent funeral. Reminds me of that suede jacket that refused to die ...

Super Contributor

The Q uses the phrase..clearance price..they NEVER use word

sale.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/29/2014 SoX said:
On 7/29/2014 santorini said:

So do I. A five-year old item deserves a decent funeral. Reminds me of that suede jacket that refused to die ...

wasn't it a Jessica Holbrook suede jacket.....

Respected Contributor

On 7/29/2014 lovesrecess said:

It has gone up only one dollar? Walk in any store and their clothing has gone up a lot more than a dollar no matter how long they have had it.

I think this top may be a popular one so they continue to restock it; doesn't mean the tops are five years old....if OP is a new customer, how does she determine its age?

Sort the reviews by date. They began in 2009. And I don't know of a single brick and mortar retailer keeps its inventory for five years or longer, the way that QVC does. Yes, prices have gone up on all apparel. There is no dispute about that. But QVC does not appear to have replenished stock on this item in a long time, as evidenced by the older color options.

Valued Contributor

There have been times when I've seen something I like but I always check the dates of the reviews. I won't buy something that's been around for more than 2 years especially when there's no markdown. With other stores and online, you can find an item and if you don't buy right away, check for a sale. Not with QVC. That's probably why my purchasing with them has gone down in the last year.