Honored Contributor

OT - Michigan Driver License Renewal

If you are a Michigan resident and have ever renewed your DL by mail, what happens from a photo ID perspective? Do then send you a faceless DL or use your digital picture from last time?

I could call the secretary of state, but if you are a Michigan resident, you know how that is (lol)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

Re: OT - Michigan Driver License Renewal

They insert the photo from your previous license. If you want a new picture, you have to go in to the Secretary of State Office. Hope that helps.

Smile Smile Smile

Honored Contributor

Hi Bird mama! While I am from Michigan, I now live in Illinois and this was the first year I was offered (as a "reward" for being a good driver) to renew my DL through the mail. I sent in my check and they mailed me back my license, with the expiration date four years out, using the same photo they had in the Illinois state computer from the last time I renewed. It was kind of neat and handy not to have to go in a "take a number" this year. If you don't mind your current photo, my guess is that Michigan will use it for your renewal. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

yoQuacker - thank you for responding. There was a time, many years ago that my sister tried it and didn't have a photo id {#emotions_dlg.blink}. I've been eligible for years and years and always went for a new picture anyway. This year, I'm feeling a little lazy.

You'd think the SOS website would address this in the FAQ's online. Oh no, that would be too much like right Wink.

Honored Contributor

Thank you EdithEllenLily

Super Contributor

http://www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/renew-license.php

"On this page, you’ll find information on how to renew your MI driver’s license online, by mail, and in person.

Once every 8 years, you must renew your MI driver license in person at a MI DMV office."

Your photo will be updated every eight years, if you don't ask them to do so specially. Otherwise, it's the same photo that was on your previous license.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Clover, I was all over that site and didn't come away from it with the same understanding. I'm renewing early so if anything did go awry, I'd still have time to take a number and do it in person {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

They send you a new one with you old picture. That way i stay younger looking longer. Ha ha
Honored Contributor

Susan 19 - I looked pretty good last time. This time - meh

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/24/2014 EdithEllenLily said:

Hi Bird mama! While I am from Michigan, I now live in Illinois and this was the first year I was offered (as a "reward" for being a good driver) to renew my DL through the mail. I sent in my check and they mailed me back my license, with the expiration date four years out, using the same photo they had in the Illinois state computer from the last time I renewed. It was kind of neat and handy not to have to go in a "take a number" this year. If you don't mind your current photo, my guess is that Michigan will use it for your renewal. Good luck!

I live in NJ. Last year I renewed my license by mail. They use the same picture for 8 years.