Respected Contributor

Need a Dress for a Wake and Funeral STAT

My MIL is dying, any day now and the few dresses I own are not appropriate for this kind of occasion. I need a petite which makes it more difficult to find. Any on-line suggestions. I am willing to even pay more s/h for faster delivery. Also, is it ok to wear the same dress to the wake and funeral?

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a Dress for a Wake and Funeral STAT

Do you have a business suit with a dark jacket and skirt? That's what I wear to funerals--even my own husband's funeral. I think a business suit looks sober and it's going to be unremarkable and serious-looking. I attend a fair number of funerals (my clients tend to be older folks) so I look around and over the years, I realized a suit looks very proper and respectful.

As to same dress, no one cares. But you can put a different blouse with the suit. I really think that works well for most people and again, it's not a fashion occasion. Everyone is busy grieving and comforting each other. The best policy is to look serious, neat and tidy. Suit, panty hose (yes, you need to wear hose) low to medium heel shoes. Minimal jewelry (conservative.)

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure it's fine to wear the same outfit to both. I wouldn't stress too much on what to wear. I know this is your husband's mother so extra care must be taken, but anything dark, simple, and modest will work. I've worn everything from a black suit to a simple skirt and sweater and it was fine either way. If you want a new dress, here are a few suggestions:

Wrap dress

Shift

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

If you have a Sears nearby, Lands End has a lovely black ponte knit sheath. If you can't get to the store, it's also available on line.
Honored Contributor

IMHO most of these photos are not wake/funeral appropriate. I'm not at all trying to be disrespectful to those who posted these either. And I also do not at all think it's a must to wear black.

I wore grey for my Father's funeral (it was December). Mother's was in April but I can't even remember what I wore then although I think it may have been navy.

Surely you have grey, brown, navy (or black) to wear. You have many other things to be concerned about rather what to wear. I am very sure you can find something already in your closet. It's not a fashion show, just be respectful, clean, simple.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/24/2014 pink dogwood said:

IMHO most of these photos are not wake/funeral appropriate. I'm not at all trying to be disrespectful to those who posted these either. And I also do not at all think it's a must to wear black.

I wore grey for my Father's funeral (it was December). Mother's was in April but I can't even remember what I wore then although I think it may have been navy.

Surely you have grey, brown, navy (or black) to wear. You have many other things to be concerned about rather what to wear. I am very sure you can find something already in your closet. It's not a fashion show, just be respectful, clean, simple.

Wow, I thought the two dresses to which I posted links were conservative and appropriate.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

I totally agree with you Dogwood in regards to not being too concerned about your outfit. Way too much other things to be thinking about.

Esteemed Contributor

Gardensla, I think the post was referring to lolakimono's pics posted.

Super Contributor

On 7/24/2014 gardensla said:

Wow, I thought the two dresses to which I posted links were conservative and appropriate.

Your pics were just fine to me. Hmmmm....