Honored Contributor

I was thinking about the recent thread about Leah's blouse, found at Lord and Taylor.

/></p> <p>The original price is $498, but it's on sale for $261.44.  Some would call that a

What's a bargain for you?

Is it not going over a set price, like $20?

Is it based on the percentage off?

Is it based on multiple discounts or multiple reductions?

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning, Lola.......I can guarantee over two hundred dollars for a blouse, on sale, would not be what I call a "bargain".....haha.....

I pay between 20 to 40 dollar range at full price....so anything below that much would be my "sale".....other then shoes...I will pay more for them...purses, too...but not over 100.00 dollars....

Esteemed Contributor

I consider something a bargain at least half off ... but not that blouse ... heck, not any blouse at $498. That's not to say that I didn't pay that for blouses when I was in the work force ... I did, without a second thought.

Although I just got into trouble with that "half off" bargain ... I recently purchased a chair for half price and free shipping during a 2-Hour Only sale. Trouble is ... nothing in my living room matches it. So I had to order an area rug and pillows for the sofa with complementary colors, and new throws to pick up some of the colors in the area rug.

How's that for a "bargain?"Wink{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Honored Contributor

Good Morning Lola - when looking for a bargain, I factor in price and how much use I will get out of an item. Something can be 75% off regular price but if I don't think I will wear it much, I'll leave it on the rack.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

I go by the phrase "A bargain at any price". A bargain to me is an item, purchased within my price range, that does exactly what I wanted it to do, that I use/wear regularly and get enjoyment out of and that I won't tire of for several years. If it's on sale, that's just icing on the cake.

50% off regardless of the price point is a price bargain. It's Leah's style and she will probably get a lot of wear and pleasure out of it, so it would be a bargain for her.

Honored Contributor

I try to figure out how much I would wear something vs the cost. if the cost per wearing is too high I don't usually get it.

Honored Contributor

Lord and Taylor does have some great buys but that shirt is not one, I bought I Michael Kors mesh and cotton striped hoodie, original price over 100, reduced twice and then on a 20% sale, my end price was around $30 dollars, that ladies is a bargain.

Lord and Taylor has great sales I am luck to have one around the corner from me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
On 7/19/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

Lord and Taylor does have some great buys but that shirt is not one, I bought I Michael Kors mesh and cotton striped hoodie, original price over 100, reduced twice and then on a 20% sale, my end price was around $30 dollars, that ladies is a bargain.

Lord and Taylor has great sales I am luck to have one around the corner from me

oxox's bargain sounds like a real bargain to me! If an item is my style... that is! You are lucky to have a L&T right around the corner for you.

There are some things (Dream Jeannes) are a "bargain" to me on EP because 1) I can buy them online 2) they fit correctly (a BIGGIE) 3) the quality control is reasonably good and only 1:30 fits incorrectly (notice my math!) 4) they do not need to be hemmed. This is a very individualized example of "a bargain!"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

A bargain is something I actually NEED.......at a deep discount.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

For me, it's not the price alone - it's the price plus the usefulness of the item. A few years ago, I bought a small crossbody bag in black cloth. Originally that bag would have been over $200 with taxes. I paid just over $130 with taxes. That's an outrageous price for a little cloth bag, but I used it and used it and used it. Still do.

That bag was a bargain for me. I like to carry it now even though it's started to show wear, but if I'd done cost per use from the time I started carrying that bag, it would undoubtedly be less expensive than some cheaper bags. My idea of a good deal.

ETA- I've never earned the kind of money TV hosts and anchors earn and I've never had to be in the public eye the way they are with every thread examined and talked about. If I did/were, I suspect I'd spend way more than I do now for my wardrobe, but wouldn't the percentage of my money going for that wardrobe be the same or even less?