Esteemed Contributor

O/T - Why don't we see more women in glasses on TV?

I was just noticing that all but one of our female managers/executives where I work all wear glasses, including me. (The one that doesn't wears contacts.) At the same time, I've started noticing how very rarely females ever wear glasses on TV (news shows, sitcoms, reality shows, and, yes, home shopping channels). I wish there were more role models and public figures (females) wearing glasses. Anybody else noticed this?
Super Contributor

Re: O/T - Why don't we see more women in glasses on TV?

Glasses can be tricky with studio lighting. Lots of reflections.

Jackie Gonzales wears glasses, and Rachel Boesing.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I just now noticed Rachel (QVC host) is on right now and she wears glasses. I do believe, however, that this is the exception to my observation..... Just thought I'd add this before someone tells me this... Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I don't know for sure but I think more people are having "Lasik" surgery to correct their vision. My husband and son have had this with great success.

I know if I didn't have eye problems, I would have it done for sure.

Super Contributor

Not only TV, but in/on: books, magazines, newspapers, catalogs, websites, etc...

Especially as eyeglasses have been considered an accessory for the past 10 years or so.

We don't see as many specs wearers as we'd like in the media, since wearing glasses is still considered one of society's ridiculous superficial stigmas.

Yet eyeglasses convey only positive attributes about the person wearing them.

Yep, I've worn eyeglasses for the last 46 years, with an occasional foray in contact lenses as an alternate. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I wear glasses and deal with the public. I find it's very beneficial to pay the extra $$ to have that non-reflective coating on them. That way, they see my eyes better, and don't catch the glare of overhead lighting. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Valued Contributor

I think it is the reflection issue and also when somebody is wearing glasses it is harder to see their eyes which is a big way of connecting, esp. on TV. I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old and because I am near-sighted, my eyes look smaller behind the glasses. Maybe that is part of it too.

Respected Contributor

Not only reflections (which can be handled with coatings) but shadows. Makeup can be difficult. People in the entertainment profession are very conscious of every detail.

Honored Contributor

What was that old adage about passes and women with glasses. Maybe some of the old school think it's true. I'd rather wear my glasses when I need them and be able to see and not worry so much about passes!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I've worn glasses since I was six years old ... most of my friends and family wear glasses ... I guess I never paid much attention to what people on TV wear.

Had lunch ""with the girls"" yesterday ... big part of the discussion was ""new frames."" Some jazzy stuff out there. My current are textured dark red with black/white stripe inside.