Esteemed Contributor

Bra shopping-how frustrating!

I read a article the other day about buying bras and when to replace bras. The article said that you should not be able to fit more than two fingers under the band of a bra set on the outside set of hooks when brand new and it is time to move the hooks in when you can fit more than two fingers in there. When you can fit more than two fingers at the tightest setting it is time to replace them. I wore a certain model Bali bra for years but last time I went bra shopping I discovered that they had discontinued it. I was crushed and just kept on wearing my old ones. However they are really stretched out so I have to buy new ones. Went to Belk,s with the following requirements, underwire, everyday bras so nothing too loaded with fancy lace, basic colors, no minimizers (hate the way they flatten you out) and most of all no T shirt bras with that fiber fill stuff in them. When you wear a 42C bra you do not need more filler. I looked through rack after rack of bras almost all of which had that fiber fill stuff. I found one bra that met my requirements and it was pink. Went home empty handed. Why oh why is it so hard to bra shop!
Contributor

Re: Bra shopping-how frustrating!

Hi Kathy bra shopping is frustrating no matter what. Im a 34B and its difficult for me too. I have found the Walcoal brand to be well made and long lasting. Pricey but worth it. If you check out Barenecessities.com they have a wide variety of larger band and cup sizes. They have free shipping and you might find a coupon. Runs.
Super Contributor

Try the HerRoom dot com bra finder - it's really helpful because it's more than cup and band size. I'm a 36D and have a difficult time finding bras that fit due to my small shoulders and sadly, low set b00bs. Anyway, their bra-finder might help you narrow down choices to try on in the store.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy, I feel your pain!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

One weekend I tried on more than 50 bras at 3 different stores, was fitted by TWO bra fitters and 3 online bra calculators ..... and didn't get even ONE bra.

Here's what I've learned: Bra fit for any specific size can vary from brand to brand. There is probably no universal fit / size. I found a bra that had the features I wanted and took 3 sequential sizes into the fitting room to see which one fit best.

If you're looking for a discontinued style, first google discontinued bra sites and see if you can find a close out supplier that bought some up. Also, try e bay ..... I've found the exact style I wanted on there a couple times, for less than retail!!

Good Luck !!! Smile

Honored Contributor

I agree on the lace who wants that, at any time.

i want nude color, underwire, t-shirt bra so a bit of filler for the smooth look,

Honored Contributor

I absolutely want that filler so that I don't always walk around looking like I'm in a very cold room. ""Light lining"" doesn't cut it for me.

Respected Contributor

I'd rather go used car shopping than bra shopping any day.

Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I'd rather go used car shopping than bra shopping any day.

LOL ..... I'd rather have a root canal than go bra shopping!

Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 jackthebear said:

I agree on the lace who wants that, at any time.

i want nude color, underwire, t-shirt bra so a bit of filler for the smooth look,

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 run4life said: Hi Kathy bra shopping is frustrating no matter what. Im a 34B and its difficult for me too. I have found the Walcoal brand to be well made and long lasting. Pricey but worth it. If you check out Barenecessities.com they have a wide variety of larger band and cup sizes. They have free shipping and you might find a coupon. Runs.
Run4life is right.....Wacoal is fantastic. Wacoal's "body suede" bra is the only bra I've bought and worn for the last several years. Wearing it, I've actually forgotten I had a bra on! Now that's saying something; I'm a 36D. It's totally worth it's price, which is about $55 or $60. (Nordstroms online is a good place to get them.)