Super Contributor

Lessons from Madame Chic (book) by Jennifer Scott

Ladies,

I'm reading a delightful book called Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer Scott. She also writes a blog called the Daily Connoisseur. The book is about lessons learned while living with a host family in Paris as a college student.

While the author is only 30-something, she is an advocate of the "less is more" and "quality over quantity" style of dressing. I'm halfway through the book and have really enjoyed it. It has definitely made me re-think some of my wardrobe choices and shopping habits.

Has anyone here read the book or followed the blog?

Respected Contributor

Re: Lessons from Madame Chic (book) by Jennifer Scott

Maddie, someone else here has been talking about that book and got me looking at some of her videos. I've watched a few and loved them.

Last Monday my Beloved accepted a job offer in Arlington (TX), so I find myself in the position of moving into an RV and living in it for a while until we figure out what to do. Very interesting for me to be looking around asking "What can I live without" and also told DH yesterday (after searching looking hunting for new truck for him and RV) "I don't want to shop anymore and I don't want to go out to eat anymore." lol

Valued Contributor

Well, you intrigued me into ordering the book from Amazon! I'll post after I've read it; sounds like just my cup of tea, Francophile that I am.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Esteemed Contributor

Hi maddie! I know I have heard of this book and am wondering if it wasn't recommended on this board at one time? It looks like a fun read!

Are you following her blog? I have been following Recovering Shopaholic. While her style is not my style, the author has the same zany need to catalog and attach numbers to her wardrobe, as I do. I admire her honesty in admitting that she had an eating disorder and compensated for it with an incessant need to buy, buy buy!

Super Contributor

Hi magic!

I started reading Jennifer's blog last fall when she debuted her 10-item fall wardrobe. Recently she debuted her 10-item (plus) spring wardrobe. Though our lives and wardrobe needs are different, I like many of her choices.

It is interesting to read that the "Chic Famille" she lived with had very few clothes. In Paris it's not uncommon to wear the same pieces of clothing several times a week and not think a thing of it. The host family had high-quality clothing, and Madame Chic had her own sense of style and stuck with it.

I will have to check out Recovering Shopaholic -- sounds interesting!

Respected Contributor

I love her choices for spring.

Thanks for letting us know about the blog and the book!

I love love love her pale aqua silk blouse. It's just what I've been wanting to add to my wardrobe - a beautiful silk or silk-like blouse in a pastel shade. But $200 for one blouse??

I think I understand the less-is-more philosophy. Is it better to buy one perfect thing, or a bunch of ok things?

Unfortunately, I need more than one thing LOL!

(And she bought a lot more than one thing this season.)

Super Contributor

peachesncream,

I found a similar aqua silk blouse at Banana Republic. I bought mine during a 40% off sale online. In fact, I think BR is offering 40% off today. Other colors are available.

I haven't worn the blouse yet, but it's a beautiful color. I think BR refers to it as turquoise, but to me, it's a color between aqua and turquoise. It is a sheer blouse, so I'll wear a lightweight tank or cami underneath.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/15/2014 peachesncream said:

I love her choices for spring.

Thanks for letting us know about the blog and the book!

I love love love her pale aqua silk blouse. It's just what I've been wanting to add to my wardrobe - a beautiful silk or silk-like blouse in a pastel shade. But $200 for one blouse??

I think I understand the less-is-more philosophy. Is it better to buy one perfect thing, or a bunch of ok things?

Unfortunately, I need more than one thing LOL!

(And she bought a lot more than one thing this season.)

peaches, that is such a pretty blouse. I am absolutely smitten with that style this season. After this winter, I want free, flowy clothing. Smile

Frequent Contributor

Yes! loved the book (she has another coming out this December or so) and follow her blog. very inspiring and positive site. Her two young daughters look like mini Jennifers! so cute!

Respected Contributor

On 4/15/2014 maddiecat said:

peachesncream,

I found a similar aqua silk blouse at Banana Republic. I bought mine during a 40% off sale online. In fact, I think BR is offering 40% off today. Other colors are available.

I haven't worn the blouse yet, but it's a beautiful color. I think BR refers to it as turquoise, but to me, it's a color between aqua and turquoise. It is a sheer blouse, so I'll wear a lightweight tank or cami underneath.

Thanks for the heads-up! I will head over there and check them out.

My DD loves Banana Republic. I just have never taken a look, although they are in our mall.