Respected Contributor
Oh the irony! I will begin a new job soon and will have to wear scrubs. All my beautiful clothes and all of the clothes that I know I'll want to purchase, won't be needed. I guess I'll just change my focus to a more weekend oriented wardrobe. Since I retired from my previous career after 29 years, I'm loving the idea of doing something completely different. Has anyone else had life changes that directly affected your wardrobe choices?
Honored Contributor

AGV I've not had a change in careers but I just want to say congrats to you on your new endeavor and good luck!

There are days when I wish I had to wear some type of a uniform to work.

Respected Contributor
Thanks, lipstickdiva!
Respected Contributor

Congratulations! Look at the bright side: wearing scrubs or a uniform of any kind means your regular clothes will stay nice longer, & you'll enjoy them more when you do wear them!

I've never experienced a sudden change like that, but I know my options over the years have evolved from hose & heels (admin asst in large military medical center) to "casual Friday" attire acceptable every day in my current admin position in academia.

Respected Contributor

I am so happy for you!! Congratulations!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Congratulations, AGV! I recently had a similar change. I had been working at one office for 23 years, and then lost my job when the practice closed. Then I was unemployed for almost all of last summer. Now I have a new position in an office on Park Avenue in New York. In my last job, I had been there so long that my boss really didn't care what I wore. Then, when I lost my job, I could just wear any old thing to clean the house or wash the car or whatever I was doing. Now, I have to look polished and professional, and I find my wardrobe is sorely lacking. Oh, I have suitable outfits for the colder months, but I have practically no professional attire for the warmer months. I hope Louis Dell'Olio (or somebody else at QVC) will be able to help me with this. As long as you're excited about your new job and the chance to try something different, you will get used to your new "work clothes". Best of luck to you!

Trusted Contributor

Yes to your question. Worked in a business office for 23 years (hospital billing office off-campus from hospital, small office), so I wore what today would be business casual. Now I work part-time in a small library in my town. I work circulation, so I am at the front desk, but also shelve materials, so I'm on my knees, on the floor, or up on a stool a lot. This amounts to the need for casual clothing (though it needs to look nice). I usually do not wear dressy pants, as they get yucky from kneeling or being on the floor, plus I usually avoid skirts, which I love to wear. So, a much more casual wardrobe for me now.

Honored Contributor

I did. I went from teaching high school to retail. I had planned for this change, so I didn't buy much the last three years. I put the things I was on consignment and built a new wardrobe. I love clothes, and my students always asked me if I would put their professional wardrobes together for them; I bought the basic colors of slacks and a few tops and built up from there. In retail you don't see the same customer daily and a lot of the makeup people wear all black, so it was easy to get by with basics.

Honored Contributor
I've recently retired and I don't need office clothes and dress trousers. I still buy them because I like them, only I haven't worn them- I know it's ridiculous. I am also only wearing flat or low heeled shoes and my dress trousers are too long. Oh well, I will eventually wear it all. I need to buy more running to the grocery store clothes; tees and capris, long pull on skirts and lots of shoes to go with these very casual clothes.
Valued Contributor

I work in an office where we can wear jeans every day unless we have big wigs coming then they want you to dress up a little more. Sweatshirts are ok with the company name only and t-shirts are a no no. Clean, no rips and that type of thing. No low cut tops or shorts or flip flops and things like that.

I like clothes so I dress up more than the rest but not over the top. Jeans mainly in the winter but come summer lighter weight pants and capri's and nice tops and things like that. I will wear a dress or skirt to the office if I am going someplace that requires that after work. I do like to wear scarves and jewelry so I do that and wear jackets with my jeans too.

I don't spend as much on clothes as I use to and find it sort of silly when I don't really need them. I have changed what I buy and how much I buy. I like dark jeans and jackets and sweaters and that type of thing for winter and I have several winter coats and change that up a lot. Summer I buy things I can wear at work and use after work. I layer because the office is cold but once I hit the door I take off the layering piece and perfect. What I have the most of is layering pieces and shoes and jewelry. I like wearing khaki pants and can wear those to church also.

My wardrobe has changed over the years but I think I have a better closet than I use to by purchasing pieces I can wear more than one season and by mixing and matching and by not having pieces that just collect dust. I see several items that I will be using even after I retire. Don't plan on that for another 7 years.