Esteemed Contributor

how do you store your cashmere and wool?

I have limited storage space in the bedroom . I have been keeping my sweaters in the plastic bags they arrived in or in a general purpose storage bag. I think I need some stackable covered boxes to store , organize and protect my sweaters. what do you do for storage and to keep moths away? does cedar really protect? please share some good websites to browse for storage box ideas.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Re: how do you store your cashmere and wool?

Splurge and buy yourself a lovely cedar chest. The BEST storage for all sweaters and wool items.

Honored Contributor

I store them in my closet in see-thru hard plastic (make sure they are clean) and have cedar chips in 2 plastic containers in the floor of the closet.

Respected Contributor

I store my wool things at the dry cleaners........take them in the spring to be cleaned, they store them for the summer, and I call them in the fall when I'm ready to pick them up. They have everything pressed and steamed and looking perfect.
Esteemed Contributor

I have three large heavy-weight plastic bags with zippers. I throw in some new cedar chip bags each year.

Super Contributor

During the off-season I store mine in "Natural Cotton/PEVA Storage Bags" in a plastic bin with lavender sachets. (Bags and sachets were ordered from the container store.)

While I am wearing them, I air them out overnight, then store them in ziploc bags. This is the first year I haven't found any holes in my cashmere sweaters.

Super Contributor

One thing I won't be doing again is using Space Bags. I took out a bunch of hand knits and they are in terrible shape - the designs are all crushed. Everything has to be soaked and reblocked.

Respected Contributor

Only sure thing I know of is using big baggies that close 100% tight.
Honored Contributor

When out of season, I store my cashmere and better woolens in a cedar chest, which was one of the best furniture investments I ever made!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Don't use mothballs or moth cakes inside your woolens. The chemical (Naphthalene) is carcinogenic to humans. Inhaling Naphthalene can cause cancer in humans. You have to launder your woolens before you wear them if you store them in moth balls/cakes.

Besides the fact that Naphthalene is a human (and pet) carcinogen, moth balls and moth cakes MELT on your clothes and that can destroy your woolens as the melted chemical bonds with the wool making it impossible to wash out.

Plastic containers with cedar blocks is a good way to store woolens. I've always stored my wool sweaters/scarves this way and have never had a problem with insects invading my stored items.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy