Esteemed Contributor

O/T - anybody watching "Cancer: The Emperor of all Maladies"? On PBS

Tonight is part 2 of the 3 part series on PBS. It's really, really interesting!!!
Contributor

Re: O/T - anybody watching ""Cancer: The Emperor of all Maladies""? On PBS

I watched Part one last night. Very Powerful- and informative about all the progress that has been made.

Respected Contributor

I also watched Part One last night. I was so impressed with the Dr.'s that worked so hard to try to develop treatments in the early days. So much dedication. I am waiting for Part Two to come on here in CA. As a breast cancer survivor, I am fascinated to see how far medicine has come since the battle began. I was lucky to have a lumpectomy followed by a short radiation treatment rather than the radical mastectomies that were shown last night.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Super Contributor

So glad to find others who are watching. Many people that I spoke to said they turned it off---too depressing. What a shame.

I feel just the opposite. The progress that's been made in such a relatively short time is amazing and the best is yet to come.

Those early pioneers in pediatric oncology were nothing if not courageous and committed. There are now several generations of pediatric cancer survivors. My daughter is one. We owe so much, not only to the doctors and scientists, but to all the children and parents who enrolled in experimental protocols. For many, it is a legacy that changed medicine. Real heroes.

Leave it to an angry woman to get things done. Mary Lasker with her triple-strand pearls did as much for cancer research as the scientists in the lab. We're all her beneficiaries.

Respected Contributor

I'm recording it on my DVR, but haven't watched any of it yet. I read the book of the same name a couple of years ago & found it fascinating & highly recommend it.

Super Contributor

I watched part of Part Two because a portion of it was about Dr. Dennis Slamon, who invented Herceptin. I graduated from high school with him and it's so great to see success come to someone from our town.

Honored Contributor

Worth watching, watching the 2nd ep now, IMO we all should be watching this.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to assume as PBS ususally does, rerun this series so I can watch it on my own. My husband is really kind of not in the mood to watch what he's already been through for 22 months, ending last October 2014.

We're in Columbus OH and are very familiar with continuing break throughs at The Ohio State University Medical Center, The James. They just finished a multi million dollar update on their med complex all about this country's most up to date facility. Not at all sure in this series if this complex will be noted for just how this center is now set up but I really hope so.

Discoveries abound at this place every single day with every single patient who is so blessed to be at this facility - each floor is dedicated to specific types of cancers and their very own research teams right outside their room to cut into their cancerous cells, learn what those cells comprise and the very specific treatment(s) for each and every patient.

I know there are other facilities to get treatments at but I will tell you, we are so very blessed to just happen to be here locally with OSUMC literally in our backyard.

God bless our researchers and doctors world-renowned.

Trusted Contributor

Like all Ken Burns series, this is fascinating and informative - a must-see! Here in CT, it was preceded by another informative PBS program called "Born Twice" about pre-birth surgeries. Both heart-warming and heart-wrenching but worth watching.

Trusted Contributor

Ken Burns knows how to make a documentary.