Trusted Contributor

Do You Prefer a Classic Wardrobe??

Are classics your style? Have they always been? What are your classic colors and accessories?

Super Contributor

Re: Do You Prefer a Classic Wardrobe??

No - my style is eclectic. Others have called it artsy, but it really isn't. If I had to put a label, I'd call it "Kathleen."

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Relatively speaking, my style is more classic. Actually, it's a little more "corporate," even when I'm not working. Prior to QVC, I bought most of my clothes from Talbots. I've actually branched out in the last year since (a) losing weight and (b) discovering Susan Graver clothes. No one has ever described my style as artsy.
Honored Contributor

My clothing choice is classic. I very seldom wear trendy short lived styles.

I don't have a color choice, but I usually wear dark bottoms, like black, navy or gray with a white or colored top. I like bright cool colors for my tops. I like jackets and sweaters too. I like small prints...hate big flowers and large prints on my clothing.

I don't wear browns, olives or tans. I like them, but they don't look good on me.

Most of my clothing is made from natural fabrics like cotton, linen and silk. I HATE spandex and polyester in clothing (except my lingerie)

I don't like boots or shoes that are heavy looking. I prefer shoes that fade into my outfit. I don't want to lead with my feet.

All of my jewelry is gold or silver (I do have a few wood pieces too. I LOVE wood.) I don't think I own any costume jewelry.

I own too many pairs of shoes and too many handbags....all leather.

My style has never changed, but it has evolved. I learned to buy good, well made pieces that would last for years. I own very little disposable clothing. I wear something until it's ready for the rag bag unless it doesn't fit anymore. Clothing is an investment in myself for me.

Respected Contributor

My style is classic and always has been. I like to think that I personalize my clothing with accessories such as jewelry, scarves, shoes, handbags, etc. At 65, I am a big fan of Linea by Louis Dell'Olio which offers many classic as well as some more contemporary designs. The quality of his clothing is very good in my opinion. My colors which were analyzed years ago make me a Winter so I favor rich tones, many of which are jewel tone colors, as well as black, navy blue, white, hot pink, etc.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Carmie said:

My clothing choice is classic. I very seldom wear trendy short lived styles.

I don't have a color choice, but I usually wear dark bottoms, like black, navy or gray with a white or colored top. I like bright cool colors for my tops. I like jackets and sweaters too. I like small prints...hate big flowers and large prints on my clothing.

I don't wear browns, olives or tans. I like them, but they don't look good on me.

Most of my clothing is made from natural fabrics like cotton, linen and silk. I HATE spandex and polyester in clothing (except my lingerie)

I don't like boots or shoes that are heavy looking. I prefer shoes that fade into my outfit. I don't want to lead with my feet.

All of my jewelry is gold or silver (I do have a few wood pieces too. I LOVE wood.) I don't think I own any costume jewelry.

I own too many pairs of shoes and too many handbags....all leather.

My style has never changed, but it has evolved. I learned to buy good, well made pieces that would last for years. I own very little disposable clothing. I wear something until it's ready for the rag bag unless it doesn't fit anymore. Clothing is an investment in myself for me.

I wish I had read your message before responding. We are very similar on all counts.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

Classic but with an updated twist.

I don't wear studs or flat boots. I Buy beautiful leathers in the few bags I have and the too many shoes. Prefer designer like Tsubo (not the over the top that you see in mags). Love leather belts.

I collect handmade artisan jewelry and also love silver cuff bracelets, hoops, and slides to put on a twisted Dominique D collar I got here. I have some Judith Ripka, Anne King, and Hagit Gorali.

From here in clothes, I have a lot of Dennis' tops and coats, one or two George Simenton with cumber-band waist bands, and several pieces from Jen Rade's Edge. In summer I like longer linen shirts over a pretty sleeveless top and linen pants with scarves and designer type belts.

In stores I buy Ralph Lauren, Vince Camuto, White House Black Market, and Banana Republic.

I work in a major department store after teaching thirty-four years and redid my closet consigning and donating as I was "starting over" (love that discount! Esp when it's double!).

A woman came up to me said I was the most fashionably dressed in the store and asked me how to dress for an interview there! I was flattered! (Yes, she got the job.) Right now, I'm helping one of the associates to redo their closet. I love color and clothes and come from an artistic background, taught Interior Design among other courses. Several people have asked me to be a personal shopper. But I'm satisfied where I am.

Honored Contributor

My clothes are still basic ""Ivy League"".......but I have some real zingers for accessories

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

My style has been pretty consistent since I was in college and started wearing "grown up" clothes: classic with a twist. I have always preferred a European cut, and a classic "preppy" or Talbots cut is just too dull for my tastes and body type. When I used to make much of my clothes, including tailored suits and coats, I more often than not selected a Vogue YSL designer pattern.

Louis Dell'Olio's Linea line suits me to a Tee. His cut is more like a European cut and is very flattering for me. And you can't beat the prices!

I have a great deal of ethnic, handmade jewelry which I tend to wear more in the warm weather months. I have been gravitating toward African jewelry here of late. I like statement jewelry and have no hesitation in mixing my fashion jewelry with my fine jewelry.

I love beautiful silk scarves and pretty much stick with the designer and higher end ones. Also love wool challis shawls in the cold weather months. And alpaca capes for transitional weather.

I am also a "Winter" with fair/medium skin, dark brown eyes, and silver hair. So the saturated jewel tones are for me, along with black, gray, and navy. I'm not afraid of mixing colors and patterns.

I am also a retired residential interior designer and have taught design on the college level.

Honored Contributor

Mine is called simple. I like solid dark colors. Occasional printed, not to busy tops. I like pants that are fitted, and only straight legs (no wide or boot). I am not into trendy clothes, or lots of accessories.