Frequent Contributor

Need possible suggestions of what I should look for in dresses and what type. The wedding will be in September in the tropics and at 5:00 p.m. I know that this is normally the time for formal wear; but, I'm not sure because of the tropic setting what kind of dress to buy. The ceremony will take place on the beach too. The colors our couple are using are peach, mint, and gold. Do I just get whatever color I come across I like, complimentary, or what? What would you wear? Obviously, I'm a mother of the groom rookie - 2 more sons to go! Kiss

Valued Contributor
Ask the Bride and her mother for advice. See if a gauzy maxi-dress w/jeweled sandals will be appropriate. For my son's wedding, I was asked to wear the groomsmen's accent color, sapphire blue.
Esteemed Contributor
I would ask the bride if she would like you in an accent color or if you can pick your own and see what color the MOB is wearing. I agree with 2cockers something light and flowy definitely with a sandal. Good luck
Honored Contributor

Keep it on the light side, the humidity in the tropics can be very high.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The mother of the bride sets the tone for the wedding dress. She should have contacted you after she made her purchase. If she didn't, then you need to contact her or have the bride contact her for you. She will choose the length and color, casual or formal, then you can choose your dress of the same length and casual/formal in a color that will not clash with the wedding party or the MOB.

Honored Contributor

After talking with the bride and her mother, if you have Nordstrom nearby, make an appointment with a personal consultant. She will know what is appropriate and flattering.

I've been a MOG and it was a wonderful role to play.

Enjoy!

Valued Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Carmie said:

The mother of the bride sets the tone for the wedding dress. She should have contacted you after she made her purchase. If she didn't, then you need to contact her or have the bride contact her for you. She will choose the length and color, casual or formal, then you can choose your dress of the same length and casual/formal in a color that will not clash with the wedding party or the MOB.

I agree with this, although the MOB didn't contact me. My future DIL was the go-between and decision maker for the type/color of dress. She knew what her mother was going to wear and my outfit/dress needed to be comparable in style and color, since we had a joint candle-lighting ceremony, symbolically joining the two families together.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

You've gotten good general suggestions. You do need to know more before you buy.

The only2 Florida beachside weddings I attended were not majorly formal although in both cases the brides wore beautiful traditional gowns. In neither case was the rest of the bridal party formal, so you really need to know what your son's wedding design/theme is before you shop.

Do take the advice to dress for the weather especially if you'll be outside much. Most of Florida is still very warm in September. I'm in Palm Beach Gardens just above West Palm and September afternoons are very often still 90 degrees. We tend to get a little breeze here on the East Coast, but lots of places in the state are just as hot and don't even get that little relief with any wind.

Respected Contributor

I assume you know the bride. Don't buy anything until you meet with the bride and the brides mother. Traditionally, the brides mom picks out her dress and the grooms mother picks out a coordinating look. As for color, you have to discuss that with the bride. When my daughter got married two summers ago; my daughter took me and her fiance's mother out for a nice dinner. We discussed the vision for her wedding and her color story and she told us what look she wanted for us. I chose my dress first and forwarded a picture of the dress and my accessories to the groom's mother. Then she bought her dress.

Honored Contributor

I would talk to the Bride and see if she wants everyone to be coordinated.

I found this on Pinterest pictures of MOG beach wedding dresses , there must be lots of pages on the web of other ideas or keep looking on Pinterest there are always ideas here. You have lots of time to start looking now.

http://tiny.cc/m6jbwx