Honored Contributor

Jill Martin-- Did she bring "Steals and Deals" philosophy to GILI line?

Jill Martin used to do a fashion segment on the Today Show called "Steals and Deals." After seeing the new, inflated prices on the GILI items recently, it seems that what she's now selling is neither a steal nor a deal.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jill Martin-- Did she bring ""Steals and Deals"" philosophy to GILI line?

On the contrary - I think the "steal" part is well represented. Once you pay the new higher prices and see what you end up getting, you will probably definitely feel like you've been robbed!!! (Sorry - couldn't help myself.)
Respected Contributor

Lol, Alter Ego, that's what I was thinking.
Honored Contributor

Yes, it would have been a great selling point: A few steals and deals regarding GILI.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

If they did a Steals and Deals show with reduced pricing, they might actually be able to dump this GILI inventory!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy to say I don't own a piece of GILI. And I didn't care who was selling it.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 taja123 said:

I'm happy to say I don't own a piece of GILI. And I didn't care who was selling it.

Ditto!
Honored Contributor

This GILI line is pretty interesting because they seem to be equating higher prices for some kind of exclusivity to the brand. With products like Louis Vuitton and Hermes, I can understand it. Those are products that are hand made, crafted with top end materials, artistic craftsmen and designers that are ranked at the top of the world.

Enter GILI, which is a QVC (Shopping Channel) line that is styling and designing items that are take offs of some of the upper end items. They seem to be made from materials that are pretty much already in the mainstream and if they are take offs (made "like") then the design has already been accomplished except for some smaller details.

And from what I've read (here and in reviews) the items aren't exceptional. As a matter of fact I recently read one review from someone buying a $400 GILI bag and getting someone else's much used return~! Boy was she miffed. And she SHOULD BE. If QVC is planning to sell items that they consider "Designer" and ask a lot of money for it, then the quality control HAS to be exceptional and sending a used and somewhat beat up "new" $400 item simply CAN'T HAPPEN. If it does, then the brand (and everything in it) becomes a laughing stock. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 taja123 said:

I don't own any GILI either, but it was interesting watching JB, who is almost the antithesis of LR selling the backpack!