Esteemed Contributor

O/T Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Miami?

I have never been to Miami and would like to escape for a long weekend. I am having trouble deciding a good location in which to stay. My initial thought was a boutique hotel (only one I would consider) in South Beach, but I like the decor much better at a resort such as Mandarin Oriental or The Setai. I probably won't rent a car, so don't know if I want to be held captive at a resort for the duration.

I won't even bore you with all the qualifiers I have for traveling (divulging too much information might give you an accurate picture of me! {#emotions_dlg.blink}) Let's just suffice it to say I have a sensory issue that makes me riddled with anxiety if my surroundings don't live up to my expectations.

If you can share any information, I would be grateful. TIA!

Super Contributor

Re: O/T Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Miami?

I've never been to Miami to spend the night, only passing through. When I want to go somewhere I haven't been, I always look on tripadvisor.com for reviews, things to do and restaurant reviews.

Honored Contributor

We stayed at a boutique hotel right on South beach, we did not rent a car either and we wanted to be in the middle of everything, so we did not have to worry about transportation.....This was about 8 yrs ago though, but while it was fun, it was noisy-that particular location......

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2015 karlam said:

I've never been to Miami to spend the night, only passing through. When I want to go somewhere I haven't been, I always look on tripadvisor.com for reviews, things to do and restaurant reviews.

karlam, I do check tripadvisor. But I actually Google maps each hotel and then "drive" up and down the streets to get a better feeling for the surrounding area. I can sometimes even "drive" right into the hotel lobby.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/25/2015 JMFINLEY001 said:

We stayed at a boutique hotel right on South beach, we did not rent a car either and we wanted to be in the middle of everything, so we did not have to worry about transportation.....This was about 8 yrs ago though, but while it was fun, it was noisy-that particular location......

JMFinley, do you remember the name of the hotel?

Doesn't anyone else live near or vacation in Miami? {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Trusted Contributor

This is an example of why there should be a TRAVEL thread on the forum. I think it would be very popular.

Honored Contributor

If you're not getting a car, I'd figure out where you want to go and what you want to do and choose a hotel that's closest to it. But I can't imagine going to Miami and not having a car.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

My birth place is Miami and never stayed on the Beach. Could not afford and it was always tourists. Have moved to Tampa, drive over and stay in Hampton Inns in Homestead.

You can goggle the beach and come up with all kinds of hotels. Usually you can map it and see where it is. I also love trip advisor, it is the best.

Good luck!!! Hope you have a great time!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 jaxs mom said:

If you're not getting a car, I'd figure out where you want to go and what you want to do and choose a hotel that's closest to it. But I can't imagine going to Miami and not having a car.

That is a concern, but I don't plan on being there long enough nor do I enjoy doing touristy stuff. I just want a hotel that can live up to my expectations and beach time. But from what I am looking at (Google maps) even the main streets like Ocean Drive or Collins Ave appear sort of highway like.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Tampa Lady said:

My birth place is Miami and never stayed on the Beach. Could not afford and it was always tourists. Have moved to Tampa, drive over and stay in Hampton Inns in Homestead.

You can goggle the beach and come up with all kinds of hotels. Usually you can map it and see where it is. I also love trip advisor, it is the best.

Good luck!!! Hope you have a great time!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Tampa Lady, do you know of an area in Miami where the hotel sits right on the beach? That is the kind of location I am most accustomed to and prefer. It seems as if the hotels sit a distance from the ocean--across the street and then a grassy boulevard.

Maybe I need to start exploring other areas?