Esteemed Contributor

I lost weight. I wore the same bra size for years. Now they are too big. Used to be able to go into a store and I could get help from someone who knew. Now nobody is ever around.

How do I know my new size without trial and error which does not work well for me.

I don't have any REAL malls around here. I am basically an online shopper. We have Walmart. Our Penneys is the size of a closet.

Esteemed Contributor
There are videos on YouTube which will show you how to,determine your correct size but I find consistent sizing within bra manufacturers is a joke. One manufacturers 36c will not be the same as another manufacturers 36c. It's a little game they play with us and it is very frustrating. Most woman wear bras that are too big for them in the band width. You should not be able to get more than one finger up in between the bra and your body. If you can get more than that between you and the bra it is not tight enough and will not support you properly.
Esteemed Contributor

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to measure yourself for a bra.

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/shopping-guide/how-to-measure-bra-size

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/shopping-guide/how-to-measure-bra-size

If you have lost some of the fullness from the top of your breasts, a minimizer style might be good for you.

Here is a link to a tutorial on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqXCnYOwCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqXCnYOwCI

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Her Room also has a lot of information about bra sizing on its website www.herroom.com. In addition to the standard information on how to measure yourself, they provide information on how to measure for different types of bras (like strapless, sports, etc.) and a "sister bra" size chart that tells you how to adjust sizes if your usual size isn't available (ex., how to adjust your band size if you change the cup size or vice versa). Once you're on their home page, select Bra Fit Center near the top of the page. It provides more information than you probably thought you'd ever need/want to know about bras. They've changed the "look and feel" of their website since the last time I used these tools, but just play with it and you'll be surprised at how much you'll learn.

Honored Contributor

Have any of you actually used these online guides? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

One weekend I was determined to buy at least one new bra and went to Nordstroms for a fitting .... with a woman who turned out to be an idiot. She put me into a bra that was SO tight that I couldn't completely inhale!

When I told her it was definitely the wrong size, she told me I WAS WRONG .... and was just one of those women who couldn't be pleased! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I left and went home and googled "bra size calculator" with my measurements ... and got three different sizes ...... 36DDD ..... 40A ...... and 42B !

Now, when shopping and find a style I like, I get a few different sizes of that bra and try them all on, keeping in mind there is no sizing consistency, even within a brand! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

It's ridiculous ..... they can put a man on the moon, but cannot arrive at a fool proof was to get the right size bra? It's beyond stupid! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Valued Contributor

I've been measured both at Nordstroms and Dillards. I guess that in order to get really good support, the band has to be pretty tight. I've purchased a few nice bras (Wacoals) to wear for special occasions, but just can't stand wearing them on an everyday basis. I had a hysterectomy two weeks ago and decided I needed to find something comfortable as I was recuperating. I ran across Rhonda Shear's Ahh Bra again, but this time in a cotton-blend version. I must say that this cotton version is wonderful. Since the material is thicker, I find I get better support that the nylon/spandex version but it's still very comfortable. I may just keep on wearing this bra even after I'm all healed. I think the whole bra sizing thing is one big conspiracy. If men had to wear these tight contraptions encased in wires, they'd go naked!

Trusted Contributor
My issue along with needing correct sizing is to get a cup that does not gape at the top. Still busty but no longer full on top so that is a huge issue for me. The bra for me that works the best is a the vanishing bra. Seems to be the only one I can find anywhere that fits me correctly. Tried on many brands and styles within those brands and that darn gap where that area could flatten out easily and noticeable under clothes. Not a pretty sight. Good luck on your quest. I sure don't envy you and hope your process will be painless.
Valued Contributor
O/P I was recently in the same situation. I lost 50+ pounds and knew I needed new bras. For many years I wore a 38DDD size. After I lost the weight, it didn't seem that I had lost anything in my cup size. I went to a store and the salesgirl measured me, wearing my own bra, under the bra. I am now a 34DDD and very happy with how my new bras fit. If you think this might be the same in your case, and you are happy with a certain brand and style, I suggest you measure yourself with a tape measure, wearing a bra you like.This way you can order it online and see if it works. I hope this helps.
Honored Contributor

Congratulations on the weight loss. My beef is that there are not enough manufacturers who make front closing bras to try on. But I do manage to find a style I like and stock up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, there used to be placed to go with sales people who knew exactly how to measure. Now it is really a guessing game. I was once a 34 B. I ended up a 40 D. With the weight loss I could be anywhere. Most likely at 36-38. No big deal but the cup size, that is the problem. I do wear underwire and I like minimizers. Or I DID LIKE UNDERWIRE AND MINIMIZERS. Gets crazy.