Esteemed Contributor

A pet peeve -- long shirt sleeves, short jacket sleeves

I've noticed on a weekly TV show that one lady usually wears a long-sleeved blouse with an elbow-length suit jacket. The blouse sleeves hang out longer than the jacket sleeves and it bugs the heck out of me! Is this a new style? (If it is, I don't like it)

What are your thoughts on this style?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor

Re: A pet peeve -- long shirt sleeves, short jacket sleeves

Contributor

Contributor

Contributor

Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

OK, I can see it with a snappy short-sleeved sweater -- I have a couple loose-fitting short-sleeved sweaters that I wear with long sleeves (in fact, I have a brown sweater almost identical to your post #3). I don't understand it with a formal suit that has tight arm-hugging sleeves. If that's the style, fine. I don't have to like it.

Thanks for the photos.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It depends how it's done.

I like the pics posted here.

Super Contributor

Not a new look at all. I'm trying to recall the year ... maybe 2007 ... my sister gave me a top and jacket set from Lord & Taylor for Christmas. Long sleeve shirt and 3/4 sleeve jacket.

In about 2008, I bought a couple of jackets from Coldwater Creek ... 3/4 shown with long sleeve shirts.

I don't like 3/4 sleeves over bare arms and always wear long sleeves under 3/4 sleeve jackets and sweaters.

I think if you search far back enough on the forum ... you'll find the same complaints as yours about 6-10 years or so ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess it's the sweater vs. suit thing for me. I have several lightweight sweaters with elbow-length sleeves that I wear in the spring - bare arms and bracelets. But I would never wear a suit jacket that had 3/4 or elbow length sleeves. Especially with a blouse hanging out from under the sleeves. Personal preference.

Thanks for your input.

- Eleanor Roosevelt