Valued Contributor

A252921 GILI Silk Dress Lunch Special

I have this gorgeous dress in black and love. Now on sale but not in my size in green. I decided to order anyway and cut the top off and have a gorgeous silk maxi skirt for this price. This is a versatile dress and can be worn day or evening. If you are a sewer this is a no brainer. Where can you find a silk maxi skirt or dress for this special price! Very nice fabric.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Petite #A253176

Regular Contributor

Re: A252921 GILI Silk Dress Lunch Special

That's a lot of money even on the lunch time sale, to cut up and re do. Could you not of saved money by buying good silk material (in the color you wanted) for less since you are a good seamstress? I sew as well but would rather make it myself using fabric materials from local fabric shops. You could get a lot of material etc. for what they wanted for this dress. Just saying.

Valued Contributor

On 3/23/2015 poshmini said:

That's a lot of money even on the lunch time sale, to cut up and re do. Could you not of saved money by buying good silk material (in the color you wanted) for less since you are a good seamstress? I sew as well but would rather make it myself using fabric materials from local fabric shops. You could get a lot of material etc. for what they wanted for this dress. Just saying.

NO WAY!!! this is not cheap, thin silk and all of these ruffles are cut on the bias. That takes yards and yards of fabric with a lot of waste. The ruffles on this dress are not straight cut fabric. Also the layers are gathered onto each previous layer cut on the bias. There is a lot of silk and the silk alone could never be purchased for the amount this dress alone is selling for now. I will remove the top; decide on the length I want;replace the zipper and have a gorgeous green silk maxi skirt I couldn't fined in the market place for less than $300 if I could find at all, and to start from scratch, I wouldn't be able to find this quality of silk for less than $50 a yard. (Checked out prices of this grade of silk before I decided to order this second dress).

All of this irrelevant if you are not into silk or this type of style. But I am and can't wait to get this green beauty home. For me this dress/silk is a no brainer bargain and the price is ridiculously inexpensive. I have a gorgeous YSL 4 tier skirt maxi skirt I paid over $1500 for years ago and have worn soo many times. It has paid for itself over and over again. I love beautiful clothes and am so delighted when I come across a fabulous bargain.....{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

This reminds me of a Linea maxi dress I have: A199794 - it was a lot cheaper than the GILI dress but of course it is not silk.

Trusted Contributor

OP, I can see that being fairly easy to do if you're a seamstress! Good luck and I hope it turns out beautifully for you!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

I saw it and now I'm sorry I didn't order it. I was concerned about the quality of the silk and the construction. The Q isn't what it used to be so it can't be depended upon for quality.