Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 3/22)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a sunny but nippy day in comparison to yesterday. I have no shopping needs at this time. I'm not even tempted today. Right now, I'm focusing on getting the prep done for tomorrow's bladder exploratory.

I did deliver a trunk load of stuff to the donation center yesterday, so now I can begin filling it up again. There is so much here that I thought I needed, and possibly did at one point. Now, however, less seems to be more. I know when I am using my timeshare in Hawaii which has one bedroom, a living room, a bath, a kitchen and lanai, it meets my needs. There is just the right amount of space to live comfortably because it forces one not to overstock things. There is room for plenty of clothes, and a washer/dryer makes it possible to use over and over what clothes are available. Sometimes, increasing space just leads to increasing the amount of things. For that reason, many cars sit in the driveway while the garage is packed full of things.

When faced with a possible diagnosis, as well as a definite diagnosis for another condition, things take on a much lower priority. I often read of people who have to clean out the houses of people who pass on and find things rarely used during that person's life. Is it better to accumulate things or is it better to buy just what we need and then replace as needed? Or, is it better to stockpile things just in case an apocalypse happens and we can't buy, buy, buy? If it did happen, would we have the right things? If we had to clear the house and take just the important items and clothing for survival, just what would be needed?

This is just food for thought as I spend the Sunday doing odds and ends around the house while preparing for tomorrow's procedure. Midnight, on the other hand, just wants to be loved and fed. He doesn't worry about the "need" to have the latest and greatest fashion or hair style. He is comfortable with who he is!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 3/22)

Hello Jean and other posters:

Jean, I know what you mean about accumulation. We have a second property and on it is our RV. The RV was so old we needed to replace it. As we were moving stuff from one RV to the other, I told my husband that we need to only put stuff in the new one that we really planned to use vs. just transferring the stuff. I cannot tell you..what and eye opener. We had bags and bags of stuff that was ultimately donated.

Quiet day today. Finishing my coffee and off for a morning walk. I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle--I think everyone should do a once a year "I am moving" exercise to get rid of the excess. I've heard of people who have moved and still have things in boxes after one year as the items weren't needed. Yes, moving of any type is an eye opener.

I've started another box of items for donation. Some I am using the concept that if needed down the line then they can be bought again, and since they haven't been used much then that likely won't be bought again.

I also booked my hotel to stay in the night before the super early morning flight to catch the non-stop to Hawaii in late April. I've stayed there before as the rooms are reasonable and they are clean. I don't need a bunch of fancy stuff when all I want to do is sleep and leave at 4am.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Hope your preparation for the testing tomorrow isn't too difficult. Glad you have Midnight to keep you company. And, I am praying for you.

Like most people, I have too much "stuff", and it seems that I need to keep re-learning that lesson. One day at a time is an apt motto for me. We had a neighborhood yard sale the past couple of days, and I consider it an accomplishment that I didn't even look at the "stuff". I definitely don't want to leave behind lots of unused things for others to dispose of when I pass.

Hi Gayle, interesting story about the RV transfer. I donated a ton of stuff when we moved to Arizona permanently nearly four years ago. But, I still have way too much stuff.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, pinky ann Charlene, LindaR, Marijane, Susan, Rosa, twinny, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

My plans for the day are to go for a walk, to church, the gym, and then our community pot luck. I also have some ironing to do.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good morning Ladies, thanks for starting Jean. my thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow for your procedure . I guess like everyone here I have too much "stuff" and trying to pare down. Jean I was disappointed that those other two books....the Escape ones, are Kindal ones only. I really liked the 1st one and went to Amazon to order the other two and saw no paperback. I have never read any book on my IPad ,I prefer to have a "regular" book in my hand.

Gayle do you travel much in your RV?

LindaL what will you be bringing to your pot luck today........have a nice time.

Kathleen I hope you get your hair color straightned out.....I am surprised you have to wait 2 weeks to have it redone though.

Not much here, it's sunny but cold here only in the 30's and it's supposed to be like this all week. We did get about 4-5 inches of snow on Friday into Sat. Morning then the sun came out...this stuff is never going to melt ! Well one thing our area of the country will not be in a water shortage situation this summer.......one way to look at all the snow I guess!

Have a nice day everyone.........Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--It is odd but when I first got my Kindle e-reader years ago, I didn't think I would get hooked. I rarely have a paperback in hand now. I do like reading on an e-reader better than a tablet and I have a small Kindle Fire and also a large Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. I will read on the e-reader before the tablet. I like your positive thinking about the "water shortage." Thank you for your comments.

Linda--Enjoy your walk, church, the gym and the community pot luck. When I hear the words "pot luck," I can remember some pot luck affairs in which it paid to eat before you went. There was one in which the pot luck was primarily desserts. I also thank you for your positive vibes.

The prep is done; I now just wait for nature to call!

Valued Contributor

Hi Ladies!

Jean, Good luck tomorrow, praying for you daily. Thanks for starting the thread this morning.

I cannot believe after all the stuff we've gotten rid of, over the past two years in particular, we miss nothing. DH told me yesterday that I need my own tv show. He's calling it" Reverse your Hoarding with Pinky Ann"! lol I think after you get to a certain point, you just can't be bothered caring for things that don't serve you regularly. They have to earn their keep at our house.

The latest victims at our house are the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and accessories, and a Fry Daddy fryer that have just not been seeing the light of day much anymore. If my family doesn't want them, they'll be donated. My folks good silverware is going to my brothers over Easter to save for my nieces. Also our grans gingerbread clock will be headed to my sisters, as she and our gran were very close, and I've had the clock for years already. It's time for her to enjoy it.

Let me ask everyone a question... If you think about your kitchen cupboards, which do you have stored there? More food stored, or more doo dads to prepare, serve, and store said food? It was that question that came to my mind the other day, and made me think about these appliances, and why are they still here. I just wonder what everyone else's kitchens are like.

Time for a break for now. I'll be back. pinky

Esteemed Contributor

Back from a nice, if short, walk.

The power of positive thinking, Marijane. Water is a scarce commodity around here, and one of the reasons is the small amount of snow pack in the mountains. So, I know that snow can help with water shortages.

I don't like reading books on my I pad, and actually never read an entire book on it. However, I do read books on my Kindle as well as paperback/hardback books. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

It isn't a total "pot luck", since the main course (hot dogs, hamburgers, or veggie burgers) is provided. We just need to bring a salad or dessert based on our last name. I'll be bringing a "three bean" (actually four bean) salad. I enjoy the taste, but rarely make it since there are only two of us.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today. We are having a nippy, but, sunny day here, I think the middle of the week is supposed to hit 60 degrees. Wishing you luck on your procedure tomorrow. Glad Midnight is there to keep you company, I do miss having a dog here to take care of, probably at the end of the summer we will get a new one.

LindaL - Have fun at the pot luck today, sounds like fun. Good job on not picking up new "stuff" at the yard sales. I always pass them up because I should be adding to their stuff to sell.

Mari Jane - I am another who likes to have a real book in my hands when I read, I do admit I love my kindle when I travel. That is usually the only time I use mine.

Gayle - Good job on the decluttering of the RV, where are you going to take it this year?

Pinky - I have too many bowls in my cupboards and plan to put a few in my sister's yardsale this spring. I don't have a lot of gadgets, I don't have room for them and I just don't use them. I do love my steamer for fresh vegetables, and I have a hand mixer, I just don't need a stand alone mixer. I don't bake, so a stand alone mixer is of no use and a space hog for me. I have a galley style kitchen so there is no counter space, so this keeps my buying of gadgets at a minimum. I have to admit I bought some expensive pot and pans and with it came an electric skillet, I have never in 10 years used it. I am thinking it may just go.

Well I do need to do some cleaning that I was going to do earlier in the week. DH wants to paint the familyroom and I have yet to give it a good clean before he starts. He wants to start painting tomorrow so I have a job ahead of me today. Hope everyone has a great day.

Trusted Contributor

I am another one who does not have a big stand mixer either...like Susan I bake very little and a hand mixer fills the bill. I have never made 4 bean salad LindaL but do enjoy eating it.

Pinky.. I have a pretty big kitchen with a lot of counter space and cabinet's.....also a big closet I keep my food in so space is really no problem for me but I still have a lot of junk etc. I did have an electric frying pan that died years ago and I never replaced it and don't miss it. In my cabinets above I have dishes ,glasses etc....underneath I have my bowls...pots etc.

Susan good luck in your clean up in your FR.