Esteemed Contributor

I'm asking for your thoughts on broomstick skirts. Are they solely for casual occasions? Are they considered something regional? Seasonal? or Cultural? Do women over 40 wear them or ??? Do you or would you wear them???

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Witch skirt do you mean?

Honored Contributor

I think broomstick skirts are kind of bohemian looking and usually worn in warm weather. I think you have to be tall and thin for the skirt to be flattering.

Frequent Contributor
I bought & wore a black broomstick, one piece-not layered, to a dressy event. Wore a white "evening wear" satin, ruffled blouse with crystal encrusted buttons. Received many compliments, felt very feminine yet comfortable. I do wear it to work with casual shirts & boots-had a coworker ask to borrow it TWICE!...I am over 50 and she is in her late 30's.
Honored Contributor
On 3/20/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

Witch skirt do you mean?

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/20/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

Witch skirt do you mean?

I have my days AmazingGrace2.

Honored Contributor

I love them! I have just a few, but I wear them with wedges in the summer, and boots other times. I have one I wear in cooler weather with a teal sweater. I have always received compliments on them. I've worn them in both professional and casual settings. Smile

Honored Contributor

I had a broomstick skirt years ago & really liked it. I was wearing plus sizes at the time.

I've seen them on large & small ladies and thought they looked good on both. They don't require one to be a special age or size or ethnicity.

They can be dressy or casual depending on the fabric, pattern and how they are styled.

You do need to be careful of the pattern you chose if you get a patterned one. Also you need to keep the pleats in good shape or it will look awful. I used to tie my skirt in a knot.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/20/2015 willdob3 said:

I had a broomstick skirt years ago & really liked it. I was wearing plus sizes at the time.

I've seen them on large & small ladies and thought they looked good on both. They don't require one to be a special age or size or ethnicity.

They can be dressy or casual depending on the fabric, pattern and how they are styled.

You do need to be careful of the pattern you chose if you get a patterned one. Also you need to keep the pleats in good shape or it will look awful. I used to tie my skirt in a knot.

I understand your pointing out about the patterned ones. I just saw one that had a Southwest 'feel' to it in the colors and the pattern. I notice that the ones that are Southwestern in looks go well with Western boots, slides, wedges, and sandals. I've seen them paired with pricey lace tops in various colors but most are too low cut or revealing for me now. If I purchase the one I have my eye on, I will have to make an effort to locate a top that looks nice without being so revealing.

Respected Contributor

I love broomstick skirts, but I always wear a lightweight jacket with one to balance the look.