Esteemed Contributor

You in Comparison to Your Mother

I remember growing up in the days of blue jeans being the thing to wear practically daily. My mother would cringe at the sight as she thought them to be sloppy looking. She didn't approve of females wearing such things and going out to so many places in them. She never wore them herself. I was told that I would outgrow the notion soon enough. Never happened. Jeans are a basic staple of mine. Mother has passed on and I still enjoy wearing the many styles of denim jeans.

Do you have something or wear things your mother wouldn't ever accept?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Re: You in Comparison to Your Mother

My mother never wore jeans either. In fact, we were not permitted to wear jeans to school when I was in school. Going further...girls were not permitted to wear pants when I was in school. Always had to wear knee length dresses or skirts.

My mother used to freak out when I was much younger and would wear a dressy top that displayed the smallest amount of cleavage.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

My mother never got her ears pierced, which is okay. But HER mother did. My Grandmother was very hip, RIP. My Mom wears a lot of "tops" that have sayings or pictures on them, like for the holidays and such. Those are things that I will never wear! I know I kind of did the reverse of the OP's question, but there it is!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

My mother never had her ears pierced either. She wasn't one to wear jewelry and let us know not to buy her any (costume). Of course I had my ears pierced as a young teen and I would even make my own earrings with items from the local craft section at the Ben Franklin five and dime. I still enjoy wearing jewelry. Make-up as well. She never wore any and was completely ignorant of things like eyelash curlers, foundation, moisturizers, etc.

We were so different and so opposite.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

my mother was never tactful that's for sure. she did wear Guess jeans with the ankle zippers though.

i used to wear platform shoes, the wedge type that was big in the 90s and my mom said they look like orthopedic shoes.

i had a black leather moto style belted short jacket with the big shoulder pads that was the style. She would say i looked tough, like i was in a chain gang or motorcycle gang.

oooh:: she never wore makeup of any kind just lipstick and it was the same frosted coral lipstick . she did have her hair frosted.

Respected Contributor

My mom never wore jeans....it was always a dress or knit pants/tops. The only makeup she wore was lipstick and a bit of pressed powder. No pierced ears, very little jewelry. Never saw her in shorts or a bathing suit.

She died of cancer when she was in her early 50s, so I don't know if she would have evolved in any of those areas or not as time went on. She had dark hair and pretty brown eyes, and didn't really need makeup. My coloring is a lot different than hers (blonde, blue eyes), and I do wear makeup. I have pierced ears and wear jeans.

Honored Contributor

My mom never wore pants until in her mid to late fifties. I grew up, until about 3rd grade, living in the country, wore my brothers hand me down jeans, cut off into shorts in the summertime. When we moved into town, I was no longer allowed to wear them, my dad didn't think it was ladylike (how ladylike is a kid in 3rd grade anyway??), lol. I was always a tom-boy, so after a while they decided I could wear pants again, climbing trees in a dress didn't cut it with them either I guess. I remember being so happy to be back in jeans again. I'm still wearing them! But we're talking way over 50 years ago, so it was more the "times" than them. God bless them, they both have been gone so many, many years and I still miss them.

Thanks for this thread, it brought back such good memories for me. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

My mother never wore jeans. She also never got her ears pierced. She was very conservative but loved beautiful clothing. She really hated it when she would see me in jeans and a sweatshirt.
Respected Contributor

Sadly my Mom had no taste for fashion at all. My Dad was the fashionista so I take after him. He always had to have the latest and greatest and always looked great when he went out. Growing up I felt like my Mom and myself butted heads over what I could wear. Nothing she picked out appealed to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd say I have a pretty good eye for fashion, but oy vey, my mother - NOT!

However, my wonderful stepmother, who was a fashion designer and layout artist was super fantastic. We had the most wonderful conversations about fashion, her experiences with the Hollywood crowd and current fashion, plus what she thought I should wear and why. I really, really miss her.