Valued Contributor

Flat cut or Point cut in your corned beef?

I have been cooking corned beef for many years. And until yesterday, I didn't know the differences in the cuts. The point cut was on sale for $2.99 per pound so I grabbed one. Then I saw the flat cut in a different area of the meat department so I asked the butcher what is the difference? He said the flat cut has less fat and is much easier to slice. The point cut has alot more fat and connective tissues, making it harder to cut and sometimes tougher and is better for shredding.

So I opted for the flat cut at $4.59 per pound and I am so looking forward to eating it tonight with the carrots, potatoes and cabbage.

Have a great St. Paddy's Day!!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Re: Flat cut or Point cut in your corned beef?

definitely flat cut!

Honored Contributor

I know it's not haute cuisine, but I LOVE it when mine shreds!
Regular Contributor

Cookie- the butcher described the difference well. And for that reason. I actually throw one of each in the crockpot (there are only two of us but remember both will shrink esp the point cut).

The point cut is for the hot meals with potatoes, carrots and cabbage as well as for the corned beef hash breakfasts. The flat cut is for the cold slicing yum sandwiches.

Happy SP Day to all! Rose

Trusted Contributor

I did not know that...thanks....but usually buy the flat cut....and only Nathans!
Regular Contributor

Flat cut at our house.