Occasional Contributor

Question about Irish sweaters...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, to all who celebrate. I enjoy the variety of Irish sweaters offered on QVC, but I had a question/concern and I am hoping for some help and advice. I am one who always launders everything before wearing or using it for the first time. Since these sweaters are indicated as dry clean only and made of wool, it's a bit more involved than just a quick visit to my laundry room. Does anyone know if these garments are treated or sprayed before shipping from Ireland? Thank you in advance!
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Irish sweaters...

I have bought these Irish sweaters for years and have never dry cleaned any of them. I wash in washer on delicate for a couple minutes let spin then rinse couple minutes with fabric softener and then regular spin again. Put in dryer with big towel for about 5 min and then pull it out and shape and dry flat. Always looks beautiful. The spell in the dryer is just long enough to fluff, not really dry. I will never use dry cleaner again. I washed a sweater i had drycleaned for years because it was getting grey. The wash water was almost black it was so dirty! Nevermore!
Respected Contributor

Not sure if they are treated, but I have a lot of Irish knit sweaters, and even though they say Dry Clean Only, I do wash some of them. I haven't washed the ones with more than one color, but the others I do, and dry flat or drape carefully on a drying rack. They come out beautifully.

Valued Contributor

I just wore my sweater to Busch Gardens on a cold day here in Tampa. It looked like it grew on me and decided to wash because I have washed other Irish sweaters and it shrunk to nothing. I was very upset because I love this sweater. The sweater was A231153, Scalloped Cardigan. Boy!! this was a rude awaking for me. Lost money and a lesson learned. Be careful!! Luckily, I had two colors in this sweater and trust me, it will be going to the cleaners.

Esteemed Contributor

I take mine to the organic cleaners and they don't go often as I have so many. I love them and a beautiful selection of colors/styles on the Q which are not available on the Aran sweater websites.
Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Tampa Lady said:

I just wore my sweater to Busch Gardens on a cold day here in Tampa. It looked like it grew on me and decided to wash because I have washed other Irish sweaters and it shrunk to nothing. I was very upset because I love this sweater. The sweater was A231153, Scalloped Cardigan. Boy!! this was a rude awaking for me. Lost money and a lesson learned. Be careful!! Luckily, I had two colors in this sweater and trust me, it will be going to the cleaners.

The question is HOW did you wash it? I read years ago it is the agitation that shrinks them. So fill the washer and add deterg. Agitate a couple min, drain and rinse the same way and regular spin. I have the very same sweater, no problems!
Valued Contributor

I have a front load washer and washed like I did all of my other Irish sweaters that did not shrink.

Valued Contributor

Hand wash would work too Smiley Wink
Valued Contributor

A263769- Aran Craft Merino Wool Zip Front Cape- so beautiful. I have noticed some very pretty designs this year. Very pretty colors. I am enjoying the St Patrick's Day shows. Ann, the model, looks so pretty in the Irish sweaters!!

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for all the replies. I don't post very often, but I am always impressed at the knowledge and helpfulness of the posters. I agree that the QVC choices of colors and styles are exceptional. I have purchased 3 sweaters today, thus far...oops! Haha, it's a special treat for me and I'm hoping they all fit nicely. I'm not sure if I will attempt washing at home. The organic dry cleaner sounds like a good option. Thanks again for the thoughtful replies and Happy St. Patrick's Day!