Respected Contributor
I have been using Turbo Tax for many years. Has anyone found that you save money by going to an accountant? 2014 income taxes are going to be a killer for me. I always claim married and zero for my deductions, but since I retired my tax bill seems to get higher instead of lower.
Honored Contributor

You must have fewer deductions now that you are retired...no business deductions.

Do you do volunteer work now? You can claim mileage for that.

Honored Contributor

Use H&R Block's tax program!

No way will you "save" money going to a CPA, LOL!!!

Respected Contributor
I didn't have business deductions while I was workng. My deductions are all basically the same.
Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2015 Hooty said:

Use H&R Block's tax program!

No way will you "save" money going to a CPA, LOL!!!

I'll try that and compare it to the amounts due on Turbo Tax. Thanks!
Valued Contributor
If you have any type of unusual or complicated tax issues, you will always be better off using a CPA. A good CPA will save you money in the long run. If your taxes are simple, you can use a simple program.
Respected Contributor
I really don't have any complcated tax issues.
Valued Contributor
AGV....turbotax or something similar should work for you then.
Regular Contributor

The reason I went to Turbo Tax 12 yrs ago was the ever increasing accountant cost. I didn't even have a difficult return - pretty straight forward & he was charging me more & more. It was like he based his fee on a percentage of my refund when all he did was have his assistants in the office plug my numbers into TT or some other software. It wasn't like he 'found' me deductions. I decided back then to do TT and I've saved hundreds of dollars in accountant's fees. IF someone has investment properties, or complex situations that may be different, but for simple returns & even with some investments or self employed situations, TT walks you thru everything.

Respected Contributor
I'm just concerned because my total due right now is 7k+. I have never had to pay before...usually get a nice refund. I guess I need to revisit what my husband and I are having withheld and increase the amount of tax taken out of our pension incomes.