Frequent Contributor

So, I have a couple of little pet peeves, when it comes to fashion.

Some things like, contrast stitching, on anything- shoes, bags, clothes. It can make items look a little too busy.

Tired of three-quarter sleeves because every time I see a woman in three-quarter sleeves, my eyes are immediately drawn to the widest part of her, her waist and hips. Which is fine if you're thin, but I'm not.

Also don't like white soles on black athletic shoes, or black soles on brown shoes, like boots or sandals. Just a couple of things...Smiley Wink

I'm not saying I've never tried any of these, but they just don't work for me. How about you guys, anything that you just try and stay away from?

Honored Contributor

Re: Little Fashion Annoyances.

I agree about white soles, and contrast stitching too, except l think it's ok on jeans. I hate when underwear (especially if it's a color or pattern) shows thru white pants. l also am puzzled why anyone would teeter around on stilts that were designed for mannequins, not real women. I also don't like hair colors that are not found in human nature, or multi-colored hair. Also overdoing the jewelry, like wearing 3 bracelets together with a watch... I could go on and on, but I'll give some others a chance!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Mine are "left handed" pants, that button on the opposite side. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

I don't like stark white clothing, shoes, and handbags. Just a little off white makes a world of difference to me.

Trusted Contributor

I Like 3/4 sleeves, since my arm is wide at the elbow.

What I really dislike are the under layers sticking out below the top layer. Call me old fashioned, but that looks very sloppy to me.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of people may not realize it, but 3/4 sleeves actually make you look slimmer, if you're comparing them to long sleeves. I don't know if you like long sleeves or short ones.

There's a little exercise you can try that I learned when I owned a jewelry/fashion business for a number of years. Stand in front of a full length mirror with your long sleeves down and your arms down by your side(hip length jacket or dress). Most people's eyes are actually drawn to the outside edges of your sleeves (your sleeves and your hips in the same color). That means that they're not really seeing exactly how wide your hips are, but how wide your whole body appears to be, from the outside of one arm to the outside of the other. (It's a lot easier to demonstrate in person...) This makes you visually appear wider.

Now push your sleeves up and put your arms back down by your sides. The eyes are usually drawn to the edges of whatever color you have on your hips, not to the outside edges of your bare arms, which now are not the same color (sleeves up). This makes you look visually slimmer in the hip area.

Every time I demonstrated this at a fashion show, the ladies couldn't push their sleeves up fast enough. Even when I saw someone later whom I had met previously, they would laugh and say "I haven't worn my sleeves down since you showed us that!" Smile Wink

Super Contributor

Boot cut pants ... just look weird to me.
3/4 sleeves ... looks like badly fitting hand-me-downs.
Mock turtlenecks
V necklines
Cropped jackets

I'll buy all the stuff with top stitching and white soles ... you can have all of the above. Wink

ETA ... most importantly, the person who decided that the adjustment on bra straps should be in the back and not the front should forbidden to design anything else - forever!

Contributor

Yes, I'm not a fan of contrast stitching. In addition, I definitely do not like color-blocking: I like matching items. So, no, contrast banding on shoes and clothes I definitely do not like.

Regarding 3/4 sleeves: I think they are very elegant and lady-like. I usually look for jackets like that. I think long-sleeve jackets sometimes make you look older.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 kittymomNC said:

A lot of people may not realize it, but 3/4 sleeves actually make you look slimmer, if you're comparing them to long sleeves. I don't know if you like long sleeves or short ones.

There's a little exercise you can try that I learned when I owned a jewelry/fashion business for a number of years. Stand in front of a full length mirror with your long sleeves down and your arms down by your side(hip length jacket or dress). Most people's eyes are actually drawn to the outside edges of your sleeves (your sleeves and your hips in the same color). That means that they're not really seeing exactly how wide your hips are, but how wide your whole body appears to be, from the outside of one arm to the outside of the other. (It's a lot easier to demonstrate in person...) This makes you visually appear wider.

Now push your sleeves up and put your arms back down by your sides. The eyes are usually drawn to the edges of whatever color you have on your hips, not to the outside edges of your bare arms, which now are not the same color (sleeves up). This makes you look visually slimmer in the hip area.

Every time I demonstrated this at a fashion show, the ladies couldn't push their sleeves up fast enough. Even when I saw someone later whom I had met previously, they would laugh and say "I haven't worn my sleeves down since you showed us that!" Smile Wink

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} They're also great for when you don't want a lot to show but you don't want the added warmth of pushed up. Great for cool spring and HOT early fall.

Super Contributor

I don't like the short over top look either. I am also getting tired of scarves being worn with everything.