Esteemed Contributor

Do you live by a fashion budget?

Are you aware of exactly how much you spend on your fashion wardrobe including clothing, shoes, handbags, accessories? Or do you feel as long as the bills get paid --c'est la vie!?!

I used to keep very detailed records of my purchases, but then life got in the way. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I think I need to go back to the beginning of the year and log my wardrobe additions. It amazes me how "out of sight, out of mind" spending can be when I am not accountable to my spreadsheets.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you live by a fashion budget?

I have a per season budget and a list of must-haves (usually shoes that need replacing); with the exception of special occasions I pretty much adhere to it. In fact, this winter I was way under.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

A fashion budget would take all the fun out of shopping. Way back when the girls were young and I was only working part-time and money was tight; I did have a shopping budget. It was necessity then. I do the majority of my clothing/accessories spending with a debit card. Since I'm spending cash, I have to be careful about what I'm spending. I intuitively know when I need to scale a bit.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a bad idea to have a fashion budget or watching what you buy and spend. I have enough clothing to get me through the rest of my days. I have a timeless style so no need to run out and try every trend. If you live more than 30 years, you realize that everything comes back into fashion trend again and again. It's no longer a novelty.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Good afternoon, magic!

I keep track of EVERY PENNY I spend on clothing, shoes, and accessories. I can tell you that I spend quite a bit less than I did five years ago.

I keep a running list by month of all my purchases and their costs. It's interesting to review these lists from time to time to see what turned out to be a good purchase and what turned out to be a mistake.

I love clothes and could easily spend more than I should. However, I am really trying to be more mindful of what comes in my closet. If that means I wind up with fewer purchases, so be it.

Good topic!

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I should, but I don't go by any budget. I just go on what I need and want new for any particular season.

One thing is I never use/wear purses/bags, so I am saving a bunch of money there!

Honored Contributor

No, but I know the maximum I would spend on any given item.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Harpa said:

Maybe I should, but I don't go by any budget. I just go on what I need and want new for any particular season.

One thing is I never use/wear purses/bags, so I am saving a bunch of money there!

Harpa, how do you tote your "stuff" around? Smile I can't leave home without all the belongings that give me a sense of security. We are meeting friends tomorrow evening and planning my outfit, I have a crossbody that just works with everything else I have chosen. I am already feeling nervous that it simply will not hold everything I need (or should I say think I need)!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 maddiecat said:

Good afternoon, magic!

I keep track of EVERY PENNY I spend on clothing, shoes, and accessories. I can tell you that I spend quite a bit less than I did five years ago.

I keep a running list by month of all my purchases and their costs. It's interesting to review these lists from time to time to see what turned out to be a good purchase and what turned out to be a mistake.

I love clothes and could easily spend more than I should. However, I am really trying to be more mindful of what comes in my closet. If that means I wind up with fewer purchases, so be it.

Good topic!

Hi maddie! I too was keeping track of everything I purchased (not to the penny, I would round up or down). I think I started my spreadsheets in 2010 or 2011.

You mentioned how helpful this is in assessing good purchases and those that turned out to be a mistake. I agree. When it is right there in black and white with a dollar amount attached, it can be painful to realize what I have spent on items that simply did not work for whatever reason. It really has turned out to be a great tool for me and I am now motivated to get my receipts and start updating!

Hope all is well! It was in the 60's here yesterday. With DST and warm weather, I am really looking forward to creating a new spring/summer wardrobe.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2015 magicmoodz said:
On 3/11/2015 Harpa said:

Harpa, how do you tote your "stuff" around? Smile I can't leave home without all the belongings that give me a sense of security. We are meeting friends tomorrow evening and planning my outfit, I have a crossbody that just works with everything else I have chosen. I am already feeling nervous that it simply will not hold everything I need (or should I say think I need)!

Hi, magicmoodz! I just stuff my wallet in my jeans pocket and my car keys in the other one. I'll hold my cell phone separately, if I need to take that, and reading glasses. Extra vitamins in my watch pocket. I just hate to be encumbered!

If I take my camera, I have that in its case, and clip the strap around my waist. Then I can put my glasses in there, too, as well as a lipstick, because that is likely to be an all-day trip.

I often wonder what all women put in those huge bags! And are you going to use every single item?