Super Contributor

I saw something at Soft Surroundings that I want ... but I'm hesitating since it's basically just two silk scarves sewn together and I know that I can do that! I ordered some scarves yesterday to see if I can recreate the look. I'll probably still go ahead and by the SS piece. I have a coupon "burning a hole in my pocket."

/></p> <p>Then this morning, I thought about the bunch of scarf tops that I don't wear very often.  I think I'm going to cut open the front on a couple and remake them into

Honored Contributor

You would need to roll the seams, which can be difficult at times, do you have a serger

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

don't forget to check out you tube for ideas and such. I recycle (redo) stuff too. Haven't ventured into scarves yet, don't have a serger.

Super Contributor
On 3/6/2015 I am still oxox said:

You would need to roll the seams, which can be difficult at times, do you have a serger

No serger ... I don't like the look of serged hems.

I have plenty of experience sewing rolled hems on sheer fabrics. I've been sewing since I was very young ... and now I'm very old.

ETA: I can do French seams by hand also.

Honored Contributor

You could also bind the cut edge. That would be easier to sew. I'd be sure to have a new needle. Look in the ""evening"" area of the fabric store.

Super Contributor
On 3/6/2015 ECBG said:

You could also bind the cut edge. That would be easier to sew. I'd be sure to have a new needle. Look in the ""evening"" area of the fabric store.

No - I like the look of the rolled edge. Plenty of sharp needles and boxes and boxes of thread.

I hand sew/finish a LOT.

ETA: I was out of invisible thread ... just ordered some more. Great for hemming.