Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 3/5)

Good Morning Ladies! Hope everyone in the snow/ice/cold zone is staying safe. All the schools and many of the businesses, etc., in DD's area are closed today due to the heavy snow. I know she is very tired of this weather, and most of you are as well. I don't know if I mentioned it yesterday, but college DGS fell on the ice Tuesday night, and he ended up going to the chiropractor and for a massage yesterday. I hope he is feeling better today.

My SIL let me know that her Mom passed away yesterday. She and her Mom (adoptive Mom) were not close, but my SIL is sad and asked for prayers. As difficult as it is to believe, I never met her Mom. I think her Mom didn't like it that we were a different religion, but still you think I would have met her since my SIL and brother were married for nearly 40 years. Oh well..... Her Mom had Alzheimer's, and they recently discovered she had pancreatic cancer as well.

I saw on Jean's FB page that her weather is not good (snowy, etc.) I do hope you don't lose power. And, just moving north in Texas has certainly exposed Kathleen to more ice and snow. That is a pretty funny picture of her car being the only one in the work parking lot.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, pinky ann, Gayle, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Karen, Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

I have two "classes today" (British history and British mystery writers), and I plan to go to Curves and hopefully take a walk.

I'm happy with my haircut. While I was waiting for my turn, I walked over to a dental office and made an appointment for tomorrow (very early appointment). One of my teeth is hurting, which is most unusual for me. And, I didn't want to have to take the time to go down to Mexico to seem my "regular" dentist. Hopefully, the local dentist can help with this tooth, and it won't be too expensive. If I need something like an implant, I will need to go to Mexico since I don't have dental insurance and don't want to pay that much for dental care.

It is cooler than normal here (in the low 40's right now), but it should be getting warmer today (70's) than yesterday, and they are saying it could reach 80 degrees this weekend or Monday. That would be above normal, which is fine with me this time of the year.

I'm not sure about the TSV for me, which means I probably shouldn't buy it. Any of you purchasing it or other fashions? Definitely a weakness of mine.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 3/5)

Hello Ladies, thanks for starting LindaL.....sorry to hear about your SIL Mom...that is unusual about never meeting her in all those years. Hope your dental problems aren't too bad and can be fixed within a reasonable price....I know how expensive that can turn into. I have not looked at the SV, had an email about it the other day but it really didn't grab me and I haven't seen it presented today. Hope your GS is feeling better from his fall.

We are having snow here, (8 inches they are saying now) schools are closed, yesterday they had a 2 hr delay from the storm the night before....this is the 3rd storm we have had this week.(Monday had another)....but they are saying next week looks to be a warm up (40's) and hopefully this will be the last storm of the season.....we have a lot to melt that's on the ground. It is very difficult when you get to a corner to see traffic coming because of the snow piles blocking the view on the sides. I saw the pix of Kathleen's area...how unusual is it for you to get snow? I am sure your Basso jacket has been getting a workout.......

Not much going on here...I will be in again..but can find plenty to do...if I want.

Have a nice day everyone.....Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. Family dynamics can be quite odd at times. Sorry about SIL's mom and hope that DGS recovers quickly from the fall on the ice.

Marijane--Like you, I hope that that this is the last storm of the season. I do know, however, that we had a big snow on March 17 last year. You are so right about being able to see at intersections because of the snow that is plowed up into piles at intersections. You creep out and look carefully.

I have mixed feelings about the TSV. I like it but when I read the garment sizing for each size, I have no idea what size to order as they seem to be huge for the size they represent. I know one of the models who usually wears a L said she was wearing a 14. Like Linda, this seems to be a message not to buy.

I do have an urge to buy something to brighten up the day but something I know I will be using and not just because of an urge to buy.

I'm debating going out and trying to remove the snow on the back walk. It is supposed to get down to zero or below tonight, so it would freeze. The Office of Emergency Services called, texsted, and emailed that those without power could expect to have power restored by 11am on Saturday.

It is a good thing that I do not have any comfort foods in the house as I definitely have an urge for some right now. A package of cookies would have been devoured by now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I am looking at Pat wearing the orange TSV. I don't know if it is the cut, the color or the size but it is reinforcing my decision not to buy.

I guess I need to fix some lunch. I may take the easy way out and just have a protein bar to get a chocolate fix for a substitute for a comfort food.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Is today Fashion Day? I just saw a thread saying ""very disappointed in Fashion Day."" If so I didn't realize that....not that I am sure there will be anything new in the shows......same old same old. I just tuned in to see final presentation of the SV..so I guess all OTO all day .
Valued Contributor

Hi Linda, Genny, and Jean!

We received only a dusting of snow, and DH says that's what was expected here. We had about 2 the other day. I was out for the morning. It was 14 degrees when I left, and the same when I arrived back home. I went to my doctors to pick up my script for my pain meds. As weak as they are, it's the law now for any prescribed pain medication.

While I was out, I took advantage of the time a to head over to the shopping center close by, and picked up Easter candy and a few small decorations that I can hang from the mantle, or in the windows. There's a good grocery right there as well, so I picked up some things we needed there. Of course I stopped for kitty supplies too, so we should be set for awhile.

Linda, Hope DGS is ok now, and that your SIL isn't having too bad a time. So sorry for her loss. Hope your tooth is an easy fix. I had two implants done years ago, both back teeth, and couldn't be happier with the results. I know that's probably not the fix for you, but if it does ever come up, it's worth every dime.

Jean, Is that picture your street? That's a pile o' snow........... I hope you won't do more than necessary outside so you don't overexert yourself. It seems we've been lucky with our snowfall amounts this year, and last, as my family lives in two different areas, and both have gotten more snow than we have. It cannot end soon enough for me.

I'm with you on the comfort foods. I have given them up for lent, and noticed a few days that had they been here, I would have never stayed away from them. I actually looked at some protein bars while in the store, but the ones they carried only had 4 grams, and were more of a treat than nutrition.

Genny, Thanks for keeping the white stuff by your place! I owe you one! lol I have things I can do inside too, but haven't had much ambition the past few days. I read alot yesterday, and even though it wasn't a sunny day outside, I felt more like going out, than waiting for a better day.

I just had lunch, and cannot wait to go lie down for awhile. My back has had it for today. Thankfully we have leftovers ready for supper, so it will be a nice afternoon. See you later! pinky

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends! Linda I hope your dental visit goes well, and that DGS is feeling better. That TSV looks a little 'different' and didn't impress me in the picture. I am waiting for my dresses and eager to let go of a couple that just aren't businessy to me. I did buy a couple things on Amazon yesterday, some doggie bags and then a couple CD's so I could get the free shipping. Smiley Very Happy

Marijane, they have always gotten more snow and ice up this way - how much different would the weather be if you moved 250 miles South? It was icy at home today and all the schools are closed there too. Ice in the hill country is not good. But for us, though they say "ice" "warning" "bad roads" I knew I was fine when I went walking because it was not ice underneath (although it sleeted all night) but it was slushy. You are right I'm taking Marilyn to work with me EVERY day!!

Mom is in Indiana and she says we got more snow than they did.

Trusted Contributor

""Marilyn "" !!! I could not think of her name but knew the coat had one.I saw the pix's of the dresses you bought the other day Kathleen and I liked all of them especially the floral one.
Esteemed Contributor

I just saw elsewhere, thanks to Marijane, that the nose of the plane which slid off the runway at LaGuardia went through the fence separating runway area from Jamaica Bay.

I just came in from 30 minutes of using my snow blower on back walks and part of the driveway. I got to the end of the extension cord and would have to plug it in elsewhere. I took that as a sign it was time to take a break or just forget the rest. The good old heart rate was 68 when I came in.

Pinky--That pic was posted by a friend who lives on the main road. The trucks have yet to touch our area, as it is not a primary travel route as that one is. There isn't much difference in the appearance of the surroundings, however. I just didn't take camera out of the house as I live up and back from two intersecting streets. If you want a good protein bar, try Pure Protein. The grams of protein are in the neighborhood of 20g; the one I had today had 21g of protein. One of those keeps you very full and they don't taste like cardboard like some do. The chocolate deluxe is excellent.

Marijane--There are two days being dedicated to fashion. I think Sunday is gardening so it is 3 days of the usual. Some of the things I've seen have been cute but not for me. I don't buy something just because someone says it is the latest and greatest. I have a pretty good idea of what something will look like on me.

Kathleen--Just a distance of 50 to 100 miles can make a big difference in the type of precipitation and amount that we get here as well as how a system tracks. I'm in the Tri-State area so I get all the reports for WV, Ohio and Kentucky. There are no mountains near me, just flatland and slight hills and crooked roads. It is cheaper to build crooked roads than to navigate a hill. In the 50 mile difference, there is about a 4 inch difference in the amount of snow received as the city got much more than we did.

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Genny1 said: ""Marilyn "" !!! I could not think of her name but knew the coat had one.I saw the pix's of the dresses you bought the other day Kathleen and I liked all of them especially the floral one.

Ha ha! I can't wait to get them and try them on. Hope I don't end up keeping all four. lol