Super Contributor

Last night I began trying on little black dresses in my closet in anticipation of a mid-April wedding that I'll be attending. Fortunately, a LBD I bought last summer from Ann Taylor will work and I won't have to buy anything. I decided to get rid of four older cocktail dresses that hadn't been worn in years, but I was saving "just in case." Probably sounds familiar to many of you.

The dress try-on session led to a major closet cleaning out. I am donating 35+ pieces (most were in the guest room closet), taking 10 items to the consignment store, giving 2 items to my cousin, and throwing away 6 items. Quite simply, I was tired of having clothes in the closet that made me feel bad. The items were old, no longer in style, or didn't fit. Or I just got tired of them and couldn't muster up any excitement about wearing them. There was no sense in having them take up precious room in the closet.

The money was spent a long time ago and the clothes have served their purpose. Time to let go and move on!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pre-Spring Closet Clean-out

Yes, you make excellent points. No point holding on to these kinds of clothing.

Regular Contributor

Good for you starting early ! I have a guest closet with clothes too. I started last year springtime with clean up. Why am I keeping these clothes and shoes. Everything I did not wear to work or play will go out this year. One black suit will stay with a blouse. I look at some clothes, bad quality clothing, didn't look good on after wearing and not a nice fit on my body type. I love how you said no excitement about wearing them, that sums it up ! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

I wish I could get motivated to do this. I retired last spring and have not gotten rid of any of my work clothes plus other I do not need. I always get stuck thinking maybe someday I will wear things.

Honored Contributor

I started Saturday and have about 12 items boxed so far. Wow is that a small start--but it makes me want to do more! Changing seasons is a good time for this!

Super Contributor

I don't buy particularly trendy items, and it never fails! Every time I get rid of something, I'm looking for it a few months later! I got rid of some fashion jewelry a few years ago and could kick myself. I will never get rid of any accessory ever again. I'm thinking this "hoarding" business doesn't sound so bad. Wink

Super Contributor

I too seem to look for items after donating them. Certain things I can't seem to part ways with. My weight and size are the same as when I purchased tailored business suits and dresses I'm sure I will never wear again. But they still fit! Several are a lush silk gabardine you don't easily find these days and a few are tropical weight all wool. I need to let them go. Men's WearHouse has a business suit donation drive every July so I will donate most of the suits then.

The other pieces I weeded through last fall and are ready for donation.

Valued Contributor

Hi Maddie & Ladies,

I've been doing a lot of purging as well. And it feels GREAT! Last week I gathered up a huge trash bag of purses to donate. Just purses--oh and a few shoes!

And you know what I realized? And it took me forever to get this? That the things I keep are the things I've spent more $$ on. These items have lasted the test of time. Not the $19.99 summer sandals from Target I bought on a whim. Sure, there are exceptions. But in general, my money, when invested well into good quality items, is well spent. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 glmama said:

And you know what I realized? And it took me forever to get this? That the things I keep are the things I've spent more $$ on. These items have lasted the test of time. But in general, my money, when invested well into good quality items, is well spent. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

glmama... ITA! Things I spent more on, but knew would fit a variety of occasions, etc, have served me well and for a long time. I always felt "presentable" in items that never seemed to "go out of style." And this type of item is rare and when found, it is worth the extra$$$. For me, in this case, less is more! PS... the closet clutter is slowly being pared down!!!

Congrats to all who have successfully "let go!"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I mentioned this on several threads in the last two weeks, but I got rid of 11 garbage bags of clothes and shoes and I don't miss one single thing. I was the same size for the last 30 years so everything fit--until this year. I hit perimenopause and went up a size. Out it all went to our St. Vincent dePaul Society where it will benefit others. I have donated half my wardrobe and I still have too many clothes.

PS--The clothes that stayed? Yea, they were the more expensive ones and/or classic.

PSS-I feel 100 pounds or more of clothes lighter.