Super Contributor

Joan Rivers snubbed at Academy Awards - not included in their "in memorium" segment

Joan Rivers was not included in the "in memorium" segment of the Oscars, last night. It was insensitive and thoughtless on their part, and I am sure that it was hurtful to her family. Joan added so much to Oscar night. I am hoping they will issue some sort of apology for the omission.

Respected Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers snubbed at Academy Awards - not included in their ""in memorium"" segment

There are already a couple of threads about this over in Viewpoints

Honored Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers snubbed at Academy Awards - not included in their ""in memorium"" segment

Before anyone criticizes the Academy for their omission, perhaps someone need to check and see what their criteria is to be included in the awards.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I thought that snub was awful. Joan was Hollywood & New York. I understand she did some acting so why the snub? Shame on them that made that decision. We all love Joan and we honor her in this thread.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

You just have to be dead and well known to Hollywood....she wasn't getting a posthumous Oscar...it is a public death notice and a few seconds on the screen. Joan did not engage in the politics of the academy and thus, the snub...however, she is listed on the online version...they claim they could not show all do to time constraints but they did have time for the usual political garbage per usual at the Oscars.
Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2015 stray770 said: You just have to be dead and well known to Hollywood....she wasn't getting a posthumous Oscar...it is a public death notice and a few seconds on the screen. Joan did not engage in the politics of the academy and thus, the snub...however, she is listed on the online version...they claim they could not show all do to time constraints but they did have time for the usual political garbage per usual at the Oscars.
People e expressing their opinions, (as Joan OFTEN did) is "garbage." Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

She wasn't an actress ... why would the Oscars even mention her? Are there awards for nightclub comics?

Valued Contributor

On 2/24/2015 Kathleen said:

She wasn't an actress ... why would the Oscars even mention her? Are there awards for nightclub comics?

I agree.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't recall Joan being political except for her unwavering support of Israel and the USA...and it wasn't forced on you during an "entertainment" show....Joan was quietly generous to NYC charities, where she lived and understood the need in her own Country and City.
Respected Contributor

I do not think Joan was a member of the Academy. I always thought that was the criteria.