Valued Contributor

I went to a social gathering on Friday night. I wore jeans, boots and a black sweater. I added a new necklace I have, a chunky style, with black stones and clear glass. I thought it looked very nice. Anyway, as soon as I walked in one of the girls said to me "Oh Arlyce did you make that necklace?", I just answered no, my daughter gave it to me for Christmas. I thought it was a really rude comment, do you? By the way, I never make my own jewelry.

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Super Contributor

Re: What would you have said?

No; why were you?

Respected Contributor

That's an odd comment for sure. I would wonder why she would say that. I probably would have asked ""why would you think I made it?""

Honored Contributor

some people do make beautiful jewelry and do beautiful beadwork. i dont consider the question rude at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Well, I'm sure they knew the OP never makes her own jewelry. I see that a a for sure DIG. I agree with the OP it was rude.

I was taught that when someone is rude, just consider the source and realize/hope they are relatives and you won't ever have to see them again (unless you chose to see them).

Don't you wonder what makes some people so mean and stupid?

Valued Contributor

Yes annabellethecat I do wonder? I know that she knows I don't make my own jewelry. I just thought it was a dig. Thanks for your support.

Super Contributor

I guess I'm just not so ready to be offended. Maybe you should have ASKED her why she asked, rather than being so sure she was being rude.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you handled it well by not letting it get to you. They win if you let it bother you.

Esteemed Contributor

"Why, no; however, I did knit the sweater and make the jeans".

Just kidding; your answer was perfect and her question was clearly a dig. I take her kind of comment as a reflection of jealousy.

PS: I bet you rocked your outfit !

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

For most of my life (I'm 64) I didn't wear jewelry, just a watch. Heck, I was 36 when I got my ears pierced. Today I love it all. . .I don't make jewelry, but my DD makes beautiful pieces. I often wear pieces she has made/gifted me and am delighted when friends ask if what I'm wearing is something she's done. (Honestly no one as ever inquired/suggested that I've made my own jewelry.) Annabellthecat, I bet you looked quite stylish!