Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 2/21)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is another one of those nasty weather days in which I wish the weather people would quit getting their forecasts correct. This is getting very, very old. One day is very much like another and it just dawned upon me that I need to stop taking all my blood thinners next week so I can have an exploratory procedure done on March 2. Please! No more snow on that date as I need to get this done. Also, on the 27th, I will have the CAT scan and cardiology appointment that had to be scrubbed when all this snow stuff started.

I'll not be buying the TSV. At my age, there is no "hope in a jar." I used that years ago and, for me, I couldn't see much difference between it and less expensive products. I am still using up the last 32 oz of Purity I bought. Once it is gone, I will not be buying again. My first reaction when I saw the cost of the TSV is that the cost could be applied toward a name handbag that would last and last or two less expensive handbags or a pair of very good shoes. This is money that doesn't go down the drain with items that can be worn. On a retirement income, one has to be more conscious of cost effectiveness of a purchase.

I saw a pair of Orthoheels Vionic sandals presented sometime this past week. I knew I had those sandals and checked my order summary. I had bought them two years ago but the price then was $15 less than the price this week. I think these were a special at that time but $15 in two years is a big increase. The SG top I bought in a smaller size because of weight loss is $2 more than it was one year ago.

I have done little around the house in terms of decluttering since the onslaught began. I'll try to do some more today. There is nothing like sunshine and good temperatures to be a motivator to get things done.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 2/21)

Good morning ladies...looks like you will be passing your weather on to me Jean...ours should start around noon....snow than an icy mix ending Sunday morning. Hope the weather will be ok the day of your medical tests.

. Sorry that your Mom's eye problems have not improved Twinny, and as LindaL said you can come rant here ,we are here for you. -

. I am off to the store this morning as I didn't get out yesterday as it was too cold....it's cold today but dosn't look as windy.it's about 17 degrees. Anybody on FB here I posted pix from a live feed from NASA TV on two of the astronauts doing work outside of the ISS. I have an APP on my iPad for the NASA live feed . I guess I am amazed at how they can do this. I don't know how to post pictures on here from my iPad.

Kathleen have a great time at your party today.

have a nice warm day everyone......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it is amazing at how the weathermen can be dead accurate when we don't want them to be. We are in day 2 of warmer weather, but it will all end this evening. The TSV is a ridiculous price IMHO. I would rather spend the $$$ on tops or bottoms or a nice bag like you say. I hope you have good weather when your procedures are done. I am praying for good weather next month when we have a few activities planned for our anniversary. We have only had one blizzard in 45 years so I don't want one this year.

A little while ago a city guy came & said that our water would be off from 9:15-noon. There is a water main break across the street from us. We do have a hot/cold water machine & bottled water, but I wanted some for misc. purposes so I did fill up a gallon jug quick. It's too bad we don't have little kids here as they would love to watch all of the truck activity.

We are going to the rescheduled Valentines Day dinner at church tonight. Hot tubbing is on my mind for today as I missed Weds. & Thurs. as it was bitterly cold & then yesterday I didn't want to take a chance on it because of my port being used for my infusion which went great.

It is sunny today so that always makes the house feel nice & cozy. We got no snow in December, only .1-.2" in January & just one snowfall of 8" two weekends ago. Last year we had an abnormal winter with over 70" of snow & lots of cold weather to go with it. Our yard is 1/2 snow & half brown grass.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--I saw the pic you posted of the astronauts doing work outside of the ISS. I need to check out to see if that APP is available for android and Fire as I have both. I do hope the weather treats you well. Ours is now turning to sleet but the snow was heavy at times; it is expected to turn to rain later to create a mess.

Twinny--I often think of you as you deal with your mother. I went through a similar situation with my mother for the last six months of her life. I didn't have to give eye drops but she became increasingly resistant to taking meds or going to the doctor, etc. She insisted there was nothing wrong with her. Then she began having memory lapses. I came home from work to check on her at Noon and she had the table set, and she commented that she didn't understand why my father hadn't come to eat. He had been dead for over ten years. These lapses became more frequent. You are in a difficult situation. You may have to override your mother's wishes when it is evident she needs someone with her 24/7 or needs care elsewhere other than the home. It is for her safety and also for your physical and emotional well-being.

You mentioned the water main break. In the capitol city, some lines broke and the water went over cars parked near by. The cars became incased in ice.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Marijane & others, Thanks for the encouraging messages to me. Just when I thought our lives were getting back to normal, they take off in another unwanted manner. I don't like to rant, but there are times I need to let it all out. I also need to take care of myself & not get run down. My last infusion did wonders to me so I hope the one from yesterday works as well.

Last night they said 16 days until we change times again. After that we will soon be on vacation. I have so much fun getting ready for a trip. The only thing I dislike is airports.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! Well, my year from heii continues. Despite the fact that Victor put some insulation around the pipes, it seems I have yet another broken water pipe under the porch. I've been on hold with the water company for 15 minutes now to have the water shut off, waiting for a human, and after having to go through all sorts of convolutions to "report a water emergency" I'm going to punch someone if I have to hear "please hold for the next available representative" over and over and over and over, every ten seconds, with snatches of insipid, annoying music in between, I'm going to punch someone! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

We got about an inch of snow yesterday, but now it's raining, so that - along with temps in the 40s - will take care of that.

I have the tub filled with water for flushing and for the animals; this (#*$ winter is getting really old, really, really fast.

Oh joy - one of the cats just threw up all over....better clean it up while I have water.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--You have to take care of yourself. Rant whenever you feel the need, I really hope that the weather or other events do not interfere with your vacation plans.

Our Decembers in the past, as a rule, were decent. We rarely had a white Christmas. On the year, we made plans to spend the holidays in Hawaii, the Eastern area was shut down with that big snowfall which kept being refreshed. They did get the roads cleared enough for us to get to the airport but after we took off, another snow came in and closed it. When we returned, I came through Dulles and got the small plane to my airport. After we took off, Dulles closed because of snow and when we landed at the home airport, they had shoveled a path from the plane to the airport. We were the last flight to land.

I stayed at a hotel 4 miles from the airport. I could barely see to drive on the Interstate. At that point, I said I would never take another vacation from Thanksgiving time to Spring. We had looked forward so much to spending the holidays in Hawaii but the anxiety over the weather and getting to the airport and back did not make it pleasant. We were fortunate to have a break in the weather that actually permitted us to fly.

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--You definitely are having a bad year. Dealing with broken pipes is a major anxiety in the winter, and it is not inexpensive. Around here, the water company doesn't do the repairs; we have to find a repairperson to do the work. The water company is responsible only for their lines. From the meter to the house, it is mine and finding someone can be a challenge because they are all in demand at the same time in bad weather. Do you not have a shut off valve easily available?

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, thank goodness there was no water spraying all over the place. The city guys are digging up the road now so I can't imagine having water by noon. DH just informed me that his house cleaning is done until he has water to wash the bathroom floors.

It is difficult dealing with aging parents. I have no family support so that makes things worse for me in trying to do the right thing. Mom does take her meds I think & goes to the Dr. but wants no help in the house. I did see that she did get her hour of help this morning, but there is only so much that can be done in an hour a week. She is becoming so stubborn that I have decided to do what I can & not worry about the rest. I remember when I was so bad 13 1/2 years ago. I didn't want any help inside of the house because I didn't want anybody to know that I was wheelchair bound or bed bound. It was very difficult going from working full time & doing everything in the house to do nothing at all. I finally had to realize that my DH couldn't work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week & then take care of me full time too. I was very fortunate for my family, neighbors & lots of friends.

FHG, Sorry about the broken pipe. Getting put on "hold" gets old real soon. Hopefully the rain will melt all of the snow & your weather will get better real soon. Sorry about the sick kitty too. That would be a mess that I could do without.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--There is a time that we all face, and that is the time that we realize that we can do only what we can do. It may not live up to others expectations, but it is your reality that counts. True friends, etc. understand that physical limitations understandably limit what one was once able to do, and often that is a hard reality for each of us to accept. You cannot control your mother; you can only control what you do and how you feel about it and we quit worrying about what others think as we can't control that.