Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 2/19)

Good morning, shopping friends. We got down to a regular temperature of 4 below last night but have no idea what the wind chill was. We are preparing for an even lower temperature tonight. Right now, however, I am enjoying the sunshine. The sun makes such a difference in the day!!

I was up at 5am again, and now have just finished downloading from the Humana site all the data regarding medical and prescriptions, including what they paid and what I paid. The reports are very detailed down to the prescription number. Bottom line is that Humana paid $9958.55 for prescriptions and I paid $891. For medical, they paid $5,208.72 and I paid $365. I have a very good insurance program and the Medicare Advantage Plan through Humana is supplemented by my State insurance which is also managed by Humana, so the reporting includes both insurances. I must admit that I really worried last year about the impact of those heart drugs but the combo of insurances came through for me. I am very fortunate.

Right now, I am watching Susan Graver but have no intention to buy right now. I do have an SG top on its way to me in a smaller size so that will suffice for a while. My Amazon Subscribe and Save is to be delivered today by UPS after sitting in a Tennessee hub for three days. At least, it says it is out for delivery.

The weekend looks as if another storm of some type is coming in but the temperatures will be warmer. I remember saying last Summer when Summer was cooler than usual that I expected on the basis of Summer for Winter to be nasty. Remind me not to voice an opinion.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 2/19)

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Those temperatures are just terrible. Sorry your winter prediction came true. Glad you have sunshine. You do have very good health insurance. Fortunately, I do as well. Unfortunately, the same is not true for DD and family. They pay pretty high premiums and also have a pretty high deductible and co-pays. She has confessed to me that sometimes they don't go to the doctor due to the cost. I try to help out, but it just doesn't seem fair.

I received a couple of orders yesterday -- one was a used book (for my bookclub) that came through the mail, but the other was one of the Don Aslett indoor/outdoor mats from here. I had been considering ordering one for a while, and ended up doing so the same day I ordered the TSV sponges. No sponges yet, but the rug came yesterday evening around 7:30 p.m. I was surprised at the knock on the door that late, but..... I keep forgetting to mention that I purchased the organizer you recommendedV32389, and I love it. When I first saw it, I thought it wouldn't hold much, but it holds so much and doesn't take up much space. Win, win as they say. For some strange reason, clothing and shoes are not calling to me as strongly as they did in the past. But, household items have been getting my attention.

Yesterday, we did go to COSTCO, and in addition to "needs", I purchased a flashlight. Looks like a winner, and it was on sale. On the way back, we stopped by Home Depot, where I bought a fire extinguisher, and the Dollar Tree for some fun stuff like an Easter dishtowel, etc. I figured that I could indulge some of my shopping impulses there without doing too much damage. While I love my local dollar store, they don't always have all the fun stuff that this store has.

I am getting DH's eye drop routine down a bit better, thank goodness. DH wanted to stop already, but....

This afternoon I have two "classes", and I also plan to go to Curves this morning. Hopefully, we will fit a walk in there someplace.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, pinky ann, Gayle, Susan, Rosa, Marijane, LindaR, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone, and please stay safe if you are in the cold zone.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends! Jean, thank you for starting us! I am glad you get some sun today and that your insurance took such good care of you. My parents have a wonderful Advantage plan, though we did not recommend them at the health insurance agency (for reasons I will skip going into) I can see how they are a win-win for some folks.

Linda, I'm glad DH's eye drops are going ok. I am not surprised that DD's insurance is so pricey. It always bothered me that we paid so much in the past, some years, and it was always going up or changing and had a deductible, etc, until I worked at that health agency and found out how much group insurance really costs. I would have paid more to insure DH and I at my last job than the money I earned. It was a small company, and most people who worked there were older (skews the premiums)... and also a deciding factor in taking this job. This job has fantastic benefits. We are getting better insurance for less money than what we were paying with DH (although we kept the dental and vision with his company because it was a better deal).

Since moving, I have indulged my shopping desires by buying cards to send to my friends. I now have time to actually write to people! And have always enjoyed that in the past.

DD is having a good time in NYC and I am living vicariously through her! The texts, pics on FB and this morning a quick (my hand is getting cold now) phone call have all been very sweet.

I had a hard time getting going this morning, not sure why. I did get enough sleep though I woke up and was up for a little while in the night (long enough to inhale a sleeve of pb girl scout cookies lol, was hungry). Last night I cut up potatoes and cooked some onions so that this morning I just threw it all in the crock with some ham and seasonings, and will go home to ham and scalloped potatoes tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, you are in the icebox right now. It is cold today again but no wind & sunny so the house is nice & cozy. It will be better tomorrow. I am taking mom to the clinic this afternoon. Hopefully there will be some progress. I get my infusion tomorrow. I am glad as I am starting to wind down. LL, there is a learning curve when it comes to putting in eye drops. Twice a day is nice compared to every 1-2 hours. I am glad that you had a successful shopping day yesterday. I don't want to do much shopping this month as we plan to have lots of fun in March. Hugs to all of you.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I'm with you on the household items grabbing my attention more than clothes now. I'm always looking for something that makes life in the household easier. I don't have the Don Aslett mats you ordered but I do have a previous set which have worn well. If your mats wear like mine, you will have a winner. I love V32389. It is deceiving in its looks but it comes in so handy. I have one on my nightstand; one for meds; one in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen.

Twinny--March will soon be here! Are you mentally packing already? It will be such a welcomed break. I do hope your mother is showing some progress, and that your infusion tomorrow goes well.

This morning, I saw them present a gadget that you could install in cabinet space to permit you to pull things out for selection. I'm debating something like that but will comparison shop.

I could be tempted by the TSV but don't want to deal with putting it together when the description said it took about 60 minutes to assemble.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Good morning!

Linda I also just recieved a Don Aslett indoor/outdoor mat, love it, fits perfectly.

Kona I hated to see on the news about the train derailment and fire. Seems like WV has had alot of water problems recently.

Today when I started to work it was 1 degree it going to warm up to 7 by noon, a heat wave!

No "want" shopping for me for a while, I just found out I have to pay some taxes, not a whole lot but still. I will need to rebuild the checking acct.

Respected Contributor

Jean let me know what you find! I looked and have been thinking about something just like that for a spot in the rv, an "entertainment center" that is a larger space and a hassle to get to, but right now my boots live in the front and empty space in the back.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--These are some possibilities at Amazon: SLIM SLIDE-OUT STORAGE TOWER - IDEAL IN YOUR KITCHEN, BATH AND LAUNDRY ROOMS! ,

Lynk Professional 14 by 21 by 4-Inch Roll-Out Chrome Cabinet Drawer,

EXPANDABLE PULL OUT CABINET SHELF, WOOD, and the QVC item offered this morning was V33084.

Rosa--The thing that people need to realize about that train derailment is that it could have happened anywhere as there is an increase in the amount of dangerous items being transported by rail throughout the United States. This is not the first, nor will it be the last, derailment causing extreme problems. The individual whose home was destroyed was physically challenged with the rest of the family being gone for the day. He just managed to escape in time wearing no shoes as he didn't take time to put them on nor time to put on a coat in the near zero temperature. The last I heard it took two days for all the oil contained in the 100 car train to burn. It is a mess but it is one that could happen anywhere.

Time to watch the news, eat lunch and then Kindle time for a break.

Valued Contributor

Kona, we had the same type of situation near here in Lynchburg VA. You are so right about this not being the last time a derailment happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I forgot to tell you that you did so well on your insurance & drug plans. I just got a bill from my Nov. infusion & I owe the clinic $281.00. Better than the nearly $500 I was paying for each infusion that I receive. Hopefully my Dec. infusion will cost me less. DH & I are on different drug plans & supplements this year so things should be much better. Then again my IV's cost about $6,600 for a 2 1/2 hour treatment. Without insurance it would be very costly. I am mentally planning our trip. I am taking the 2 pairs of capris that I bought a few months ago with the matching top, plus the capris that I bought at the QVC outlet last fall. They all match & can be coordinated easily. I need a few more capris & tops too, but they are hanging in the closet ready to be chosen. I want to take a skirt or two for some nice dinners at the resort.

RC, Your DD is in a cold part of the country right now. When you are young though, weather doesn't make that much difference. I didn't want to get up this morning either. It's a good thing we no longer have to get up & go to work. I am putting chop suey in the crockpot for supper tonight. I like the crispy noodles, but DH doesn't so I will indulge in them by myself. It was made a few days ago & frozen. Since mom's eye appt. is later this afternoon, there will be no time to fix a proper meal this evening.

Rosa, Your heat wave sounds like ours yesterday & today. Tomorrow looks better. At least we aren't getting the huge snow storms like our DS & DDIL are enduring right now. I can always put on another layer of clothing.

The TSV looks nice, but I am in no mood to assembly anything right now.