Honored Contributor

Do the color of the buttons affect how you feel about the item like a jacket?

I love silver! Give me silver buttons or tonal, but I am tired of buying buttons and sewing (YUCK) them on! I do like the look of matched metals!

How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do the color of the buttons affect how you feel about the item like a jacket?

Yes, buttons matter to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do the color of the buttons affect how you feel about the item like a jacket?

Buttons matter. Most of the garments purchased here have plastic buttons. I have a stash of buttons which I have saved for decades and I try to find buttons to replace the plastic ones. If I am unable to, I try to buy buttons which are a better fit for me. People who know clothing will look at the seaming and buttons of a garment and judge it by those two things. I know all are different. My brother is a shoe executive with a very large company and the first thing he notices about a person is what shoe they wear and the condition of it. Another half brother, a dentist, judges someone by their smile (teeth). First impressions which I deep down in my heart do not like, but most people are like that.

Valued Contributor

Yes!

Respected Contributor

yes - and sometimes i can't tell from the pictures whether they are gold, silver or whatever. their description is rarely included in the copy - a pet peeve of mine.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 namealreadytaken said:

Buttons matter. Most of the garments purchased here have plastic buttons. I have a stash of buttons which I have saved for decades and I try to find buttons to replace the plastic ones. If I am unable to, I try to buy buttons which are a better fit for me. People who know clothing will look at the seaming and buttons of a garment and judge it by those two things. I know all are different. My brother is a shoe executive with a very large company and the first thing he notices about a person is what shoe they wear and the condition of it. Another half brother, a dentist, judges someone by their smile (teeth). First impressions which I deep down in my heart do not like, but most people are like that.

I upgrade a lot of items with better buttons too!

Esteemed Contributor

Buttons can be a deal breaker for me. I've bought a couple of jackets, not because I needed them, but because I fell in love with the buttons.
Honored Contributor

I used to make all of my clothes way back in the late 60's when I worked.

With that in mind I can tell you the buttons (of course) are important. I would stand for as long as 20 (or more minutes) looking at buttons trying to figure out how I could use them.

I have a huge collection of buttons (even though I no longer sew).

Just as important though is the garment. You can't choose one over the other. They must go together.

I think I understand what the OP is saying. I have taken the time (not too often) to sew new buttons on a jacket if I felt like something else would look good on it.

However, they usually go together.

Frequent Contributor

My parents, aunts, maternal grandmother worked in NYC garment center. Learned from them to change buttons. Like 'namealreadytaken' have a stash going back to my grandmother, or will purchase as necessary. Just changed bright gold buttons on Joan Rivers jacket to antiqued silver ones found in yarn store.
Super Contributor

I usually take the piece with me to the trim shop to get buttons. The wrong buttons can ruin the look.