Contributor

My son is getting married in April. The wedding and reception are both being held in the same location, which is a reception hall. The bride is wearing a long strapless wedding dress, not too formal, but it does have a small train. My question is, what is the proper length of dress for me to wear? I don't know if long is too formal or short is too informal. The wedding will be held mid-afternoon.

Thank you for all replies!

Respected Contributor

Re: Mother of Groom question

What's the mother of the bride wearing?
Honored Contributor

I would ask the bride what she would suggest and/or follow what the Mother of Bride is wearing. It sounds like short may be best and there are a lot of very nice ""dressy"" short dresses out there.....even a very pretty suit (dressy) might be nice.
Respected Contributor

You must wait until the mother of the bride makes her decision. Maybe you could both collaborate on this....good luck!!!

Occasional Contributor

Hi Poohki,

I wore a cocktail length dress to one of my son's afternoon wedding. The venue was the same as yours. Mother of the bride wore the same length. When my youngest son was married at 4:30 in the afternoon I wore a long dress because his wedding was in a church and reception at the country club. In both wedding's the mother's wore the same length dresses. Enjoy the day and congratulations!!

Contributor

I should have said this before, but the bride's mother lives in another country and we are not sure if she will be able to make the trip.

Honored Contributor

ASK THE BRIDE.

Esteemed Contributor

Considering the reception location and time of day I would say knee length or tea length. Definitely not floor length.
Super Contributor

I attended two weddings in 2014, and on both occasions, both MOTGs wore "slightly below the knee" length. Tea-length was the trend years ago; but these ladies (family members) desired to wear their lovely dresses at other venues.

Valued Contributor

As a mother of the groom twice, I say:

1. What are the bridesmaids wearing?

2. Wear what you want.

3. The mother of the groom only has to do two things. Wear beige and keep your mouth shut! It worked for me.