Super Contributor

Fashion Items Continuing to Increase

Perhaps it's just that I'm retirement age and notice costs more than I did when working, but to me it seems that many of the fashion brands have increased quite a bit over the last year or so. In fact some of the items have jumped five dollars or more just in the past months. And somehow it seems this coincided with the "new" shipping rates and policies. I'm not afraid to buy Linea as I know the pieces I get are typically classics and well-made. Sometimes I'm not sure about sizing and hesitate there especially when no measurements are provided. But Susan Graver and LOGO (which I haven't bought but have looked at) have skyrocketed for sure. I used to get a SG top years ago for $30 to $35 dollars before tax and shipping and handling. I know there's always the cost of manufacturing and such which is part of the reason. But when one is retired these things mount up and actually prohibit buying much when all the costs are weighed together. Just wish the bank interest rate would reflect this type of increase! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Items Continuing to Increase

Many QVC tops are now around $50. Some don't look like they are worth that price. I see clothing items going up $5-$6 or more just before and since the new shipping policy. I'll be shopping from my closet.

Super Contributor

Years ago when I stopped working full time I think the first thing I noticed is that the casual clothing I needed for my new lifestyle cost just about the same as most of my work clothing! Except for suits, a lot of clothing is priced similarly. I still buy some dressier pants and a few things for volunteer things but I can't remember the last time I bought a suit.

I think clothing prices everywhere have gone up a lot over the last several years. I know a few years ago the price of cotton went through the roof and that impacted a lot of retailers pricing on items that were all or almost all cotton.

I have also noticed a trend in thin SHEER tops. In particular Loft has started showing a lot of tissue thin tees and tops that I just won't buy. These are tops that aren't supposed to be worn with a camisole or tank but they are so thin you can't really wear them alone because they are so see-through, especially in lighter colors like whites and neutrals like ivory, and pastels.

It's really disappointing to see a $40 "tee shirt" that you can see straight through! I think more than increased pricing, what disappoints me more is the WEIGHT and quality of the fabric that you see being used with so much clothing now.

Respected Contributor

QVC is no bargain as far as its pricing and the new increases that have been added to offset the new "lower" shipping prices won't encourage me to buy here.

Other than Linea (which I really like for work), I can find other styles of clothing somewhere else and even if I pay the same for it, I won't feel as though I am being taken advantage of, which is how I feel about QVC and their pricing policies these days.

Super Contributor

Of course. And they couldn't just adjust their shipping charges to $3 and $5 for most items and not make it up somewhere. They wanted it to appear that they have reduced S&H but they have to raise prices on the clothing to offset the hit they are taking on the reduced shipping.

Problem is most shoppers aren't stupid and they can see if an item has gone up in price $7 especially if it's an item they've bought before or had on their wish list.

Super Contributor

On 2/11/2015 imaclotheshog said:

Of course. And they couldn't just adjust their shipping charges to $3 and $5 for most items and not make it up somewhere. They wanted it to appear that they have reduced S&H but they have to raise prices on the clothing to offset the hit they are taking on the reduced shipping.

Problem is most shoppers aren't stupid and they can see if an item has gone up in price $7 especially if it's an item they've bought before or had on their wish list.

Exactly! I have just come back from viewing my wish list. All but a few items have increased at least $7.00. This must have just happened because I was online Sunday night and didn't notice.

Respected Contributor

The thing is....I think most people haven't noticed the price increases. On these forums, it appears that many remain very happy about the reduced shipping. So, either they haven't noticed that item price has gone up, or they don't mind paying more in total (price + s/h) as long as s/h is lower.

Respected Contributor

I've been noticing increases since last year as well. Several times I emptied my cart because I just couldn't justify the cost for that item...too much.
Regular Contributor

Guess it's time to start shopping locally or on-line shops with no s&h charges. And yes, like Daysdee said, it's time to start shopping from my closet as well.

Super Contributor

Thanks to all of you who answered my posting! Good to see I'm not alone in what I've been observing, too. One thing I forgot is that I like the fact Louis Dell'Olio of Linea will write in his blog as well as say online from time to time that the cost of manufacturing a certain piece in a particular fabric has increased or that not everyone will like a style or color depending on her shape or need in lifestyle. That to me is a compliment from a well-known designer who recognizes the wisdom of the buyer. Then there are those other vendors who practically shout on television that everyone "must" buy her designs regardless. Really?! I don't need a see-through top or a short, short skirt for my wardrobe. For most of my day-to-day retiree wearing I'm getting good deals at local B&M stores such as Kohls or Dillards. Love sales and discounts!