Esteemed Contributor

Email just received - big changes in shipping charges. Many items will now ship for a flat $3.00 and other reductions. Also included in this: When buying 2 of the same item, second item will not ship for a reduced charge.

Overall at first glance - this looks more fair than what we've been paying to get our purchase home.

Honored Contributor

Pinch me. I never thought it would happen.

Super Contributor
On 2/2/2015 brewhaha said:

Pinch me. I never thought it would happen.

Or... I took the news with a pinch of salt?

Honored Contributor

We are living in a different economy, the whole country; the middle class has almost been destroyed and the current buyer cannot afford the heavy shipping and higher prices. Everything is going up, i.e., groceries (gas was going up until politics forced it down). QVC will have to do, as others have done, acquiesce or die on the vine like all the stores you see in forced closings due to the shrinking middle class. We are sliding into a third-world economy.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/2/2015 namealreadytaken said:

We are living in a different economy, the whole country; the middle class has almost been destroyed and the current buyer cannot afford the heavy shipping and higher prices. Everything is going up, i.e., groceries (gas was going up until politics forced it down). QVC will have to do, as others have done, acquiesce or die on the vine like all the stores you see in forced closings due to the shrinking middle class. We are sliding into a third-world economy.

The last financial statements that I saw from QVC indicated their operating income had increased year over year not by a lot but still an increase and their net income at that point was a little down from the prior year. That was for a nine month period. Their fiscal year end statements should be released soon. There isn't any financial indication at all that QVC is dying on the vine now or will anytime soon.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the OP..............I reread the email and note one change that may not be popular with the majority. Returns: The original S/H will be refunded ONLY if the item is defective and/or they screwed up. Other returns: didn't like, didn't fit, changed my mind = no refund of the original S/H.

I read from this there are too many returns - cost of restocking - cost of throwing away used product (wore the shoes for a month), etc.

$3.00 charge is effective immediately and the S/H issue in a week or so.

Respected Contributor
I do know that I have bought a ton more on HSN over the last several months compared to QVC. When they started giving spendable Kash for shipping costs on returns, I started ordering much more. They've also had some great deals.
Super Contributor

ops . not think ed abt it

Honored Contributor

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not surprised at all at the time it took QVC to decide how they wanted to change their shipping policies.

I remember reading that when LLBean wanted to move to free shipping, it took them three years to set the policy into motion. Sadly for me, I have always felt one of the things they did so shipping could be free was to reduce quality of some of my favorite items. They lost me totally as a customer!

Obviously, I'm only one person and LLB is still alive. Are they thriving? Who knows - they're a private company and don't have to report results. Still, I can only hope QVC doesn't erode the quality of the products I like. I don't buy much, but I like what I buy.

Respected Contributor
On 2/2/2015 Reba055 said: I do know that I have bought a ton more on HSN over the last several months compared to QVC. When they started giving spendable Kash for shipping costs on returns, I started ordering much more. They've also had some great deals.

Me too! HSN and SHOPHQ have gotten most of business recently because of their "real" Sale prices and shipping deals. I am glad that qvc HAS gotten with the program. I ended up buying a few things this weekend and the shipping reduction was the final deciding factor before hitting he submit button. THANK you QVC for listening to your customers or at least your investors.