Trusted Contributor

Those of you who enjoy thrift store shopping and/or who appreciate bargains will share my jubilation at DH's and my tour de force at a local Goodwill yesterday! We stopped by a Goodwill store on a whim on senior discount day (25% off everything for those over 55 on Tuesdays) while we were out and about yesterday morning........and had one of those "hit the jackpot" days!

DH bought several fleece zip-up casual tops, a beautiful Munsingwear lightweight jacket, a couple of nice sweaters, and a gorgeous London Fog coat, all in prime condition, plus a few books. I bought several pieces, including a couple of QVC brands -- a Chloe Dao top new with tags (absolutely couldn't believe the quality of the brand!), a Bob Mackie embellished top NWT, an Alfani top NWT, a like-new Clinton Kelly top, and a very nice Liz&Me jean jacket. The total tab for all of the above: just under $55. Most of our new acquisitions are now cheerfully chugging away in our washer and dryer, on the way to our closet.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

If you haven't tried thrift shopping, it's a wonderful sport!!

Honored Contributor

Awesome.

Trusted Contributor

GW is my favorite store - shop there all the time. But it's "hit-or-miss", looks like you "hit"!! My latest "buy" - a Dennis Basso faux fur jacket in pristine condition for $15!!! And since I collect milkglass and blue transferware, I'm always on the hunt for those pieces.

Respected Contributor

I love shopping at GW and all the animal rescue stores and the hospice resale stores and yard sales and estate sales and it's FUN and the money goes right back into my community. I like that!

Super Contributor

You did hit the jackpot! That's always fun.

Valued Contributor
On 1/28/2015 GoodStuff said:

Those of you who enjoy thrift store shopping and/or who appreciate bargains will share my jubilation at DH's and my tour de force at a local Goodwill yesterday! We stopped by a Goodwill store on a whim on senior discount day (25% off everything for those over 55 on Tuesdays) while we were out and about yesterday morning........and had one of those "hit the jackpot" days!

DH bought several fleece zip-up casual tops, a beautiful Munsingwear lightweight jacket, a couple of nice sweaters, and a gorgeous London Fog coat, all in prime condition, plus a few books. I bought several pieces, including a couple of QVC brands -- a Chloe Dao top new with tags (absolutely couldn't believe the quality of the brand!), a Bob Mackie embellished top NWT, an Alfani top NWT, a like-new Clinton Kelly top, and a very nice Liz&Me jean jacket. The total tab for all of the above: just under $55. Most of our new acquisitions are now cheerfully chugging away in our washer and dryer, on the way to our closet.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Wow...what a haul!! I've never been to one, but after reading this I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing this.Smile

Trusted Contributor
On 1/29/2015 05gage25 said:
On 1/28/2015 GoodStuff said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Wow...what a haul!! I've never been to one, but after reading this I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing this.Smile

If you've never been, give it a try! Of course, this kind of tour de force happens just once in a while, and sometimes you'll visit a store and see nothing of interest. But it's rare that I leave a Goodwill without at least one find. You have to have patience and be willing to scrounge through a lot of dreck to get to the hidden gems. But what FUN when you score a great find -- or a whole shopping cart full of finds!

I love Goodwill!

Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you got some wonderful new things. I recently started shopping at Goodwill. I also came out with some great items. The clothing I got were in perfect condition. Not a stain, tear, or button missing. I bought a beautiful perfect condition Liz Claiborne winter coat. It was only $5.00. I couldn't believe it. I also see Denim and company, Charter club, and other popular names. It is fun to go in there and be on the hunt for something.

Trusted Contributor

A word of advice. Try to shop the stores that are located in higher-income locations for the best merchandise.