Super Contributor

Whenever you wear black near your face, do you tend to wear more makeup?

Or use brighter shades of makeup?

I am wearing a black cashmere sweater today and added a hint of Bobbi Brown's Rose Shimmer Brick on my cheekbones.

Sometimes I will go a little brighter on my lipstick and gloss, but I didn't today. Just went with my favorite Ballet Pink lip liner and Blondie Pink lipstick.

How about you?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Whenever you wear black near your face, do you tend to wear more makeup?

I don't know about more makeup......but I do tend to wear blush and lipstick shades that liven up my coloring, as black can tend to wash one out.

Trusted Contributor

You definitely need more/brighter makeup ESPECIALLY as you get older. I wear black but it isn't flattering near my face. I try to wear it as a cardigan sweater or jacket and wear a more colorful top underneath.

Super Contributor

No - I wear black quite often and always for dressy occasions.

I'm fair, blonde, green eyes and I stay with a "pale look." I'll switch between two blushes, several lip colors and intensity of gray eye shadow - but that's not dependent on whether I"m wearing black. It has more to do with where I'm going and my accessories.

Trusted Contributor

I have noticed that as I age my skin tone is changing. I am not as fair as I used to be, and I have a bit of yellow in my skin. Before this change, black looked terrible near my face. Now, I can wear it. It is still not my favorite color (I prefer bright colors), but I have bought a black shrug for summer and a black jacket for winter. When I wear these pieces, I always wear a bright pink lip color. My blush stays the same (a clear medium pink) because I avoid bright cheeks.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

no i do not wear more makeup or brighter makeup when i wear black on top.....which is often. i do do a bolder jewelry, either in color or in size.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I try very hard not to wear black near my face at all. I'm very pale and wearing black makes me look like Morticia or a vampire. I have some black cardigans I wear over bright tops and one black sweater that has an aqua yoke top.

Trusted Contributor

It's actually the opposite for me. When I wear black any additional color I've added, either lipstick or foundation, pops even more in my opinion. So I err on the side of less when wearing black or dark colors.

Honored Contributor

Not really. Sometimes I'll go for a slightly brighter lip gloss. And I do mean slightly.

Honored Contributor

When I wear black, that is about the only time I'll wear a red lip.