Honored Contributor

Wardrobe All-Stars vs. Wardrobe Benchwarmers

I was reading about a blogger's definitions of her All-Stars and Benchwarmers.

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/2014-by-the-numbers-the-wardrobe-benchwarmers/

For her, the All-Stars are pieces she wears at least 8 times a year.

The Benchwarmers are pieces she wears infrequently- perhaps once a year.

With what frequency do you wear your All-Stars?

And your Benchwarmers?

Super Contributor

Re: Wardrobe All-Stars vs. Wardrobe Benchwarmers

This is interesting! I have to think about this one! Fun topic.

Honored Contributor

I wear my All-Stars a lot more often than eight times a year. I have a lot of Benchwarmers. This past year I've been doing a lot better about not buying clothes that I won't wear very often.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'm going to spend some time reading this blog, from the beginning, I think, as I really feel like I need some help in eliminating a lot of things from my closet. I am retired, but can't seem to bring myself to donate a lot of things that I no longer wear. No one needs this many items for the occasional dress up occasion. Thanks for posting this. So far, it is very interesting.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

All stars are worn 8 times per year? lol I wear most things more than 8 times a month. I don't have anything that is worn once or twice a year.

Honored Contributor

Most of my wardrobe would be considered benchwarmers. (although they are worn a handful of times)

My black pants (various fabrics and lengths) and black flats are my daily all-stars. When it comes to dress up, a black sheath and black pumps are my all-stars.

Honored Contributor

All stars are worn once a week. Bench warmers end up in the goodwill bag. If I need a special something for an occasion, I buy something that moves into the all star category after wearing for the occasion.
Honored Contributor

My jeans for sure. I have a ton of them and wear everyone of them. They are expensive premium American made jeans purchased at Nordstrom. No cheap third world jeans for me. I work at a University so they are work appropriate. A different jean each day. All my sweaters too. Pullover and sweater coats. Almost never wear cardigan. Boots to go with all my skinny jeans. I have a whole bunch and wear a different pair each time. But I seem to gravitate more to my Uggs.

What I don't wear in the winter are dresses and some skirts. Just too darn cold. Another thing I own but don't wear are scarves. I hate things around my neck. I pull one on for out wear, but never wear any scarves indoors. It's extremely rare to wear my only turtle neck sweater. So in winter most of my clothing are All Stars.

Esteemed Contributor

My benchwarmer jeans have changed this past year and a half as I put away my bootcut jeans and I'm only wearing skinny ones now. I'd love to say that they are all stars but I seldom wear black jeans because they are pet fur magnets. My all star tops in winter are animal print crossover, long sleeve ITY jersey knit tops. I have an assortment. All star shoes are black flats by Clarks and Hush Puppies, clogs and mules in bllack and.brown by Born, B.O.C., Naturalizer, and Hush Puppies. All my dresses are benchwarmers, I wore a dress once last year.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't mean to sound as if I am all that and a bag of chips, but I have worked long and hard to establish and maintain a wardrobe of what I consider all-stars.

I do that by constantly assessing and reassessing everything in my closet. The minute a garment falls out of my favor, out it goes. I have neither the inclination, the room or the energy to keep anything that I don't really enjoy.

I used to feel guilty about getting rid of something I purchased and then upon wearing didn't make me feel great or, worse yet, something I purchased and never even wore. Now, I admit I am much fussier about my purchases, but if I should happen to end up with a benchwarmer, out it goes!