Esteemed Contributor

Are they called.. pocketbooks, purses, handbags?

Whenever I write a post about bags (carried on shoulder or on my arm) I hesitate and wonder what to call them. I am wondering if it is regional or age specific. Just curious. I am from Maryland... west of central (we fight about it all the time in our area){#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I wear vests mostly or have lots of pockets. I prefer not to carry them at all. I end up forgetting where I put mine and I really don't have much of a collection anyway.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are they called.. pocketbooks, purses, handbags?

In NY, they are just called "bags."

Honored Contributor

I hear all three here in the metro-DC area.

Honored Contributor

I know a very elegant, wise older lady from Long Island who calls them "pocketbooks".

I think perhaps the current preferred fashion way is "handbags".

However, regionally (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois), I hear "purses" much more, and I mostly refer to them as "purses".

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in WV.

When I was growing up, I said "pocketbook", which is what my mom and grandmother always said. When I got a little older, my friends and I all said "purse".

For the several years, I have started saying "bag".

Valued Contributor

Usually purse or bag here (Ohio valley area) .....growing up, it was pocketbook from my mom and grandmothers generations.

Contributor

In my area of TN, everyone says "purse."

Honored Contributor

maryland area and i say pocketbook or purse.......i use the term handbag on these forums. a ""bag"" is something i get at the grocery store when i am checking out.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Actually, I've referred to them all at some point in my life. Currently, it's either purse or handbag for me.

Honored Contributor

Time for our quarterly discussion on what to call a bag... There is no right or wrong. Generally speaking, the meaning is relatively clear regardless of whether one carries a purse, pocketbook, handbag or bag. I too am in DC area and grew up with pocketbook or purse, then gradated to handbag and now, at the post graduate level carry a bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...