Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 1/22)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a nippy day as we wait for the front to move in that may or may not bring significant snow depending upon how the storm tracks. It is beyond my control, but what I can control is the available time I have today

I have to admit that I've been relaxing this morning after two days of working. I realized that relaxing was habit forming and if I didn't watch it then I would get nothing done today of any significant measure. I now have my box out to put in things as I go through things, a little bit at a time.

My hair is too long, so part of today's agenda is to call and get an appointment. If possible, I might do it this afternoon. If not, I will see if it can be scheduled for the afternoon of February 4, the date of my cardiologist appointment.

I'm staring at some black tops. I do have a tendency to collect things in black and also in red. I'll be putting some clothes in the laundry to prepare for their new home.

This month is passing quickly and it will soon be over. Where will we be at the end of the month in terms of meeting our goals for the month? It isn't too late to make some progress for this month. Procrastination is often our daily companion but it interferes with our achieving out goals as soon as we would like.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 1/22)

Good morning ladies hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, hope you can get your hair appt. We have some ice outside right now, I need to go to the store and pick up a couple things but that will have to wait for a while.

I also can't believe this month is almost over, I have been procrastinating too much, I started a list last night of things I need to get done around here. So wish me luck on getting it done. I tend to collect tops in the color, blue, I have been making a point not to buy a blue top, so far it has been working.

Also, how is your niece doing, I have kept her in my thoughts.

Well I need to get moving, hope everyone has a great morning.

Valued Contributor

Good morning!

Not too much going on here. I had a great time at the fellowship meal. I had the best quiche, spinach and swiss. Vey good.

We are supposed to get a wintery mix of rain, ice and snow Friday afternoon. I will have to pay attention to the weather and make sure I get home.

As far as collecting tops, I also gavitate toward black, pink or jewel tones.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--I'm sure you will do fine with your list. It will keep you focused on what you want to accomplish. Have you ever started a task and then got interrupted? Then when finished with the interruption, you spotted something else to do? As a result, the original task does not get completed? I have adult attention deficit disorder, so I don't do well with multiple things hitting me at one if they are not a priority I enjoy doing.

Rosa--I think you are in the unpredictable path the last I heard. I'm really glad that you had a good time at the Fellowship meal. I like the vivid hues on me...rose instead of pale pink or royal blue instead of a light blue.

What woman ever said, "I have too many clothes?" Count me in. I've decided that the perfectly good but slightly too large items I had kept to wear around the house can go. I have more than enough in the new size. I have enough that I really don't need to buy anything new for the Spring and Summer. I know I will, however. I just need to watch what is bought. I would love to have A223022 in black as I have that jacket and it is a winner. I love its 3/4 sleeves as I have short arms and too many jackets have sleeves that are too long.

Thank you for asking about my niece. She is stable at this point. She has been a fighter for the past year but is now getting tired of fighting the medical battles.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. I'm sure you will manage to get plenty of things done today. You deserve some relaxation after two days of work. Like Susan, I am wondering about your niece. I have a big habit of collecting black pants. While I gave away three pairs earlier this week, there are still many left in the closet. I tend to be better about tops except for turtlenecks that are in my dresser. Most of these turtlenecks were not expensive, and they work well for me since I have a long, wrinkled neck that I like to cover. A couple of years ago, I did get rid of several turtlenecks, but I really should be able to part with a few more. But, I think my main focus should be on getting rid of (donating or trashing) other things around the house that are duplicates or just not used.

I read a thread about how many square feet one needs if they are a couple, and it was quite interesting. Most seemed to agree that the floor plan made a big difference. And, I know that not having a basement or attic makes a big difference for me. But, I realize that I should clean the clutter and really concentrate on using the space that I have wisely.

Hope your weather isn't too bad this weekend Jean. DD said it was snowing in Maryland yesterday, and she thought they might close the schools in the afternoon. But, I saw that they just canceled after-school activities.

Hi Susan -- wishing you luck in getting things done.

Glad the fellowship dinner was nice Rosa. Hope you don't have any problems with the weather on Friday.

Waves to Kathleen (good idea for DD to wait a bit on the Jeep), Arlene, twinny, LindaR, Gayle, Marijane, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

I managed to resist the TSV yesterday, and the one today is not tempting at all. Our visit to the Mexican dentist went well. Neither of us had any issues, despite not going for way more than six months. The dentist said our teeth took extra time to clean, and I said we would try to get back sooner next time. The border patrol official was so nice -- I didn't put my passport in the machine correctly, and he said no problem. Curves went well, and we had a short walk. My knee is still bothering me a little, but I was able to sleep much better last night.

Today, I will be taking the car in for a check-up, and they said it will take two hours or so. Since we only have one car, I plan to wait for them to finish -- thank goodness I have a good book. There are also some stores in walking distance, so I will "window shop".

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--You certainly have a busy day scheduled. I always take my Kindle with me for any type of appointment. Keeping a car serviced on schedule keeps it well maintained and hopefully avoid any surprises. I have some SG turtlenecks which I've worn each Winter but haven't so far this year. Glad you visit to the dentist went well.

I'll be going to get the mail later today, but will be stopping at the local supermarket. They have big boxes with grab holes on the sides in which cartons of eggs are shipped. These make the best boxes to put things in for donation so I think I will pick up two. I can always go back and get more when needed. There is no need for an excess of that around.

I don't need the TSV either. I have two tablets both of which are Samsungs. One is a 7 inch one I've had for two years; the other is a 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 which is turning out to be a fabulous purchase. I carry the 7 inch one to work, and will travel with it. It is amazing the difference the size of the screen makes.

Trusted Contributor

Hi ladies, I hope that you're all doing well. During the month of January, some of you have written wonderful little essays about simplifying, not shopping, being organized, etc., I just wanted to say thank you. I don't always have the time each day to check in and let you know, so I'm saying it now - I've read some great words of wisdom from you!

As far as shopping goes, I've been doing fairly well. I've purchased a few things, but far less than I did last year. (I keep records of my purchases, so I know this for a fact, lol.) I've also gone through closets and drawers, my library, and filed my paperwork, so I'm more organized and I've trashed and donated quite a few things.

This week I've been getting routine medical appointments taken care of. I went to the dentist on Tuesday, got my mammogram yesterday, and this afternoon I'm getting routine blood work drawn. I'll be glad when that's all done

My great sadness this week is that one of my 3 cats, "Fergus", was killed by a coyote on Tuesday. We adopted him from the shelter 5 years ago and I loved him more than I can say. Our other two cats are happy to stay indoors, but Fergus would throw temper tantrums if we tried to keep him inside. He was quite the hunter and loved the outdoors. I just feel so bad and I miss him.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies.

Jean - Speaking of interrupted thoughts: I went to the basement a little while ago to check for Draino, and of course I cleaned off the clothes line, folded some clothes to bring up and about a half hour later realized I never checked for the Draino. So yes, I am a person guilty of that. This is why I have so many half finished projects around here. Hopefully, my list will help me take care of that.

I am also guilty of the too many clothes, I have been trying to rotate my clothes because I know there is stuff I pass on because I don't like the item for one reason or another. I find since I have done this I have found "treasures" to donate.

LindaL - I also found I had too many pairs of black pants, I have given a few pairs away, but have kept 3 pairs to wear. I don't dress up that often but we seem to get hit with a bunch of funerals and funeral home visits at one time. I like to keep a few pairs of pants handy because I am not the neatest person and always seem to find a stain on a pair when I go to wear them.

Glad you had a nice border patrol person yesterday, I always am nervous when I go thru customs even though I know I haven't done anything wrong and am not bringing anything illegal into or out of a country. It is sad when you have to worry about the mood they are in that day. I have run into TSA people who are having a bad day or just hate their job and take it out on everyone else. Those are the days I just have to bite my tongue.

Cerb - Sorry about your cat, we are finding more coyote and bear in our area, so the deer population is down. It was hard on the hunters this year. Glad your other cats like the indoors.

Well off to get some caffeine and see if I have Draino. Have a good day everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Our weather has been very mild for 2 weeks & it looks mild again for next week. We did get another dusting of snow overnight. The grass still peeks out above the snow though. It is good to have a relaxing day after your busy work schedule. There are days that I don't feel like doing anything. Those days I enjoy TPIR, my Kindle & the hot tub. Then there are days that I more than make up for my laziness. My body knows what I can do or can't do. I just need to follow up on it. I got my haircut about 2 weeks ago & just love the easy do for me.

Susan, I usually make a list when I am out & about. Otherwise I forget half of what I needed to get. I hope February goes 1/2 as fast as January is going. Then we will be lucky. I like color so I have many different colors in my closet.

Rosa, I am glad you had fun at your fellowship last evening. That quiche sounds good too. I don't mind driving in snowy weather but not the icy mess that sometimes happens.

LL, I am glad that your dentist visit was successful. I don't like going through customs. I usually pack light just in case they want to open my purse or carryon bag. The check-in bag seems to never get touched. We have open floor plan, so it is easy to take care of. We do have a basement, but I try to keep it looking nice (except where the furnace, washer & freezer are). The furnace guy came yesterday to clean the furnace, so I at least made sure the floor was clean & the cob webs are not there.

Cerb, it is fun hearing from you too. I usually try to lump my medical appts. on the same day. I haven't bought much lately as I don't need anything & I don't like clutter. Sorry about your cat.

I just finished 2 loads of laundry. DH got his walk in & swept off the snow from the driveway. We will hot tub after lunch. My mom has an eye appt. this afternoon. I hope there is some improvement but... Then she needs to go to the bank & the grocery store. I need to drop off some bills & our DGS's birthday card today at the PO as he will be 12 on Sunday. I am taking it easy as I have lots of things to do in the next few days.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--You have had a busy day also but making time to relax is important. I do hope your mother's eyes are showing some improvement.

I just read the SG thread. I agree that her items are quality; they last a long time with proper care as I just looked at one which is 3 years old. I do agree that the pricing is making it a challenge to buy unless one is very discriminating. They need to either have more easy pays or more buy one, get $5 off of each additional.

I was just called to work tomorrow. I think it is time to take a Kindle break.