Super Contributor
I have several cashmere sweaters. I even purchased a Gleener to de-pill them! I took my favorite one out (Christmas 2013)---a pretty mushroomy color long cardigan and discovered a small, but noticeable right on the front of it. I am so bummed out....fortunately the others are fine. But here are my questions: Can it be repaired? How do i store my cashmere sweaters? My cotton sweaters have not suffered this fate either....just my favorite sweater! Advice?
Super Contributor

Did you mean to say there was a hole in it? If so, you can repair it if you have extra yarn - it sometimes comes w/the sweater. But you have to make sure the stitch is the same size when repaired. My mother in law tried to fix mine, and the stitch was too large and noticeable so I ended up donating it. I store mine folded, sometimes w/cedar (not where I live now). Some manufacturers say to store folded w/tissue but I haven't tried this. Good luck, I hope you can repair your sweater!

Respected Contributor

During the summer months I take all my cashmere sweaters to the dry cleaners and put them in storage.They do a beautiful job of cleaning them and I call them the end of October to pick them up. I have been doing this for many years and I have never had any issues with piling or holes in any of them.

Sorry that happened to you.....perhaps you could ask at your dry cleaners whether they can repair the hole for you. Good Luck!!

Super Contributor
yes, i meant to type small hole...i think its the iPad! HAHA! Thanks for the advice...I will check in my button box. I am sure it came with extra button and maybe even yarn...must try to find someone..maybe always wear a scarf until the whole thing wears out!
Honored Contributor
Many dry cleaners do ""reweaving"" on garments; DH snagged a hole in the arm of his best suit and they were able to fix it.....could not tell there had ever been a hole there.....hope you can find someone to help do the same for your sweater.
Super Contributor

The hole can be repaired - check with a tailor or your dry cleaners. If you can't find the extra button and yarn, they can sometimes take a small amount out of a side seam.

To stop them from being eaten, my Mom always had them dry cleaned at the end of the season and stored them in ziplock bags with a lavender sachet inside.

Honored Contributor
Moths eat natural animal fibers, not cotton. You should store your sweater in a sealed container with a repellant during the summer. Make sure they are clean when you put them away. I use cedar blocks.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

This happened to me, too, with my favorite cashmere sweater in a camel color. Love that color because it goes so nicely with almost everything. I was planning to use a moth repellent this year to avoid a repeat, but I'm glad to hear it's possible to have it repaired by taking some fabric from a side seam. I'll be taking it to the tailor this week.