Honored Contributor

I Have Been Reading Up On The Psychology Of Selling Used By Television Retailers

I learned that parasocial interaction is one of the main tactics used. This involves the viewer's perception of a relationship with the hosts, as if the viewer knows them. This approach capitalizes on older shoppers who have less outside interaction and have feelings of isolation. It also capitalizes on the natural feeling of friendliness and sociality. This is why viewers are still allowed to call in. This perpetuates the you have a friend in your living room sales tactic.

Super Contributor

Re: I Have Been Reading Up On The Psychology Of Selling Used By Television Retailers

Makes sense but would you buy anything from a person you find distasteful - No. So why add all the psychobabble - you buy from a salesperson that you like. You turn off the TV when someone you dislike comes on. I imagine that shopping channels audition lots of people for a host position - trying to find one that is universally pleasant and able to sell. I don't think it is particularly aimed at the elderly.

And to assume, in this day and age, that elderly people are more susceptible to selling tricks is outdated. I was shocked when I discovered I am just 6 months away from being considered (gasp) elderly!!! I just started working with a 22 year old and I have never listened to anyone so naïve - it's amazing some of the things that come out of her mouth.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Super Contributor

Re: I Have Been Reading Up On The Psychology Of Selling Used By Television Retailers

On 1/20/2015 gailchap said:

Makes sense but would you buy anything from a person you find distasteful - No. So why add all the psychobabble - you buy from a salesperson that you like. You turn off the TV when someone you dislike comes on. I imagine that shopping channels audition lots of people for a host position - trying to find one that is universally pleasant and able to sell.

Right ... there are several vendors whose products I'd never buy! Really "bad vibes."

ETA: I should add hosts also, not only vendors with bad vibes.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2015 gailchap said:

Makes sense but would you buy anything from a person you find distasteful - No. So why add all the psychobabble - you buy from a salesperson that you like. You turn off the TV when someone you dislike comes on. I imagine that shopping channels audition lots of people for a host position - trying to find one that is universally pleasant and able to sell.

Of course I'd buy from a person I find distasteful. If it was a product I trusted and wanted. I don't have to LIKE someone to buy from them. . . I'm there for the purchase, not a friendship. It's business. . . the salesperson and mine. That's all.

Esteemed Contributor

No surprise - that's why we hear so much from Jane: dancing daughter - sister Sissy and Jill: Trevor - a daughter and what she likes to wear. I appreciate your study in to this but I've been aware of......she's (host) my friend and I love her (Lisa R). It's all the selling techniques used.

Honored Contributor

When you see people posting about show hosts here, it is just an extension of this strategy. QVC hires hosts with the most likeability. That is one of the major attributes that QVC is looking for in a host. Of course, QVC also has other hiring criteria besides this. Viewers gain familiarity with the hosts. They get to know them, or so they think. It is not just about whether the viewer likes the host, though. It is about the viewer perceiving of show hosts as if they were known to them, parasocial interaction. Viewers are led to believe the hosts are friends.

Trusted Contributor

Some of these post-ers really have a bizz-r "relationship" with the Q sellers & models. Strange, very strange.
Trusted Contributor

And yes, I would buy something I wanted if the seller was distasteful. If the seller was rude/mean, I probably would be p!ssed enough to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
Honored Contributor

Perceived social involvement is supposed to facilitate good mood which facilitates a felling of less risk and in finality leads to impulse buying. Impulse buying is strongly affected by mood.

Esteemed Contributor

My skin crawled when a caller (sounded like a very elderly woman with a crackling voice) said to Liza R on her last couple of days............blah blah and I will miss you so much.... and then added - ""I just loveeeee you to death"".

Even Lisa appeared uncomfortable and got rid of the woman quickly.