Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 1/19)

Good morning, shopping friends It is a nippy but sunny day. Sunny works for me!!! I've showered and WEN'd. I'm now ready to tackle the goals for the day. To do that, I'd like to keep Martin Luther King's quote in mind:

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way." Martin Luther King Jr.

Sometimes, we focus too much on the big picture and overlook the small things that lead to the big picture or the big goal. For that reason, we may have a long term goal, but the goal we set for the day is one that will lead to that long term goal being accomplished. I think that is one reason the "15 minutes at a time" technique used in accomplishing an overwhelming task is a method we all can succeed at accomplishing.

Have an urge to buy something? Delay it 15 minutes and see if the urge is still there. If so, then try delaying it another 15 minutes, etc while you focus upon another goal. If you do this 4 times, then you have delayed the buying decision an hour. Why not delay it longer? If the item is there, then you have given yourself time to consider if the purchase is a real cost effective purchase. Keep in mind that a sale is not always a cost effective deal if you did not need the item or it did not replace something on the way out. The sale just simply represents money that might have been spent better elsewhere. This is a value judgment as what is important to one person may not be to someone else.

If you do buy an item, try to find two items to leave the house. This aids in the reduction of things on hand and eventually makes it easier to see and use the items you have. Goals are like oars on a boat; they help you steer in the direction you want to go. Without goals, you have no way of measuring your degree of success, and you may find yourself wasting time or money or both on things that do not advance you to your very important super big goals.

I have to wear light weight compression hose because of the risk of stroke from blood clots in my legs. I am using my last pair so I ordered 3 more pair today from a business that makes excellent ones at a price lower than some big brand names. I definitely need these for travel but started wearing them everyday to help with the swelling from being on my feet. My legs also feel less tired at the end of the day.

I also need to keep my Kohls card active. After fighting some pillows for a couple of weeks, I went online to see what Kohls had thinking I might drive to Kohls and check them out. Bottom line is that they had Serta pillows on sale at a great price and with good reviews. I used the discount and free shipping code to get two pillows for $18. Hopefully they will work, but the savings on these and the reviews said "buy" One pillow is normally around $25 which is a little less than I normally pay but hopefully the reviews were on target.

Since I am free today, I need to find more things to do around the house. The house can really get out of control if I don't do something each day, especially when working....and it has gotten out of control.

Arlene--Happy Birthday. This is a day when calories do not count, so I hope you have a wonderful birthday and so something special.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, 1/19)

Good morning!

I had a wonderful weekend, we went to Ashville NC. It is a "foodie" town. We had wine one place then would walk to another palce for dinner and then another for dessert. We stayed in a very elegant place. , for 2 nights Took a long drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and did a little shopping. We did discover that we travel well together{#emotions_dlg.tt1}. We are both big picture people and do not let little things bother us. I think this is a result of both of us have experienced a lot of loss and realize what it is important, and the fact that I pack too much is not a big thing.

I did buy a new pair of jeans, due to weight loss this was a need. I got a pair from Eddie Bauer on sale and in talls. Win Win!

Valued Contributor

Kona I just read you Sunday post, I just finished a great book I think you would love, I know I did. Choose Joy because Happiness isn't Enough by Kay Warren. A dear friend gave it to me for Christmas, I read it and even though it is directed to women, my friend M read it.

Esteemed Contributor

Rosa--It sounds as if you had a wonderful time. There is nothing like a loss to discover what is important in life. We never know when an important person in our life will be taken from us so we should not ignore the opportunities each day presents us. Congrats upon the weight loss and the new pair of jeans. A sale is great when you have the need!! Thank you for the recommendation. I'll check it out at Amazon.

ETA: I just read the reviews. I like this quote from the book:

Joy cannot be manipulated by the actions of puny human beings; it is not dependent on the amount of sadness, suffering or difficulties you endure. Joy cannot be held hostage to fear, pain, anger, disappointment, sadness or grief. At the end of any given day, the amount of joy you experience is the exact amount of joy you chose to experience!

Right now, I'm watching the WEN show while going through accumulated mail, much of which is junk. The problem is that the name and address is often hidden inside on cards, etc. so it takes time to get rid of it. I also keep papers just in case it they are needed to prove something, and usually they are never needed.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my!! I just got an email that the Kohls order I placed this morning has already shipped. Now, that is what I call fast service!! Now, back to another 15 or 30 minute dedication to outing things or reorganizing.

Valued Contributor

Morning all! What a positive thread! I love it and thank you for letting me barge in on your thread! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We have the amish over to continue a bathroom redo at our Bed & Breakfast. They gutted it and they are doing the carpentry work. I have the plumber coming back to hook up plumbing and finish the shower. The electrician will be back to finish up and hook up the heated floor. I'm excited and can't wait to see the finished bathroom.

On the positive side: A stray cat adopted us 7 months ago. I got him neutered and shots, the vet called me after the neutering and said 'this cat is front declawed'. We can't have him in the Bed & Breakfast because of people with allergies. So with this bitter cold weather and him being outside, I bought him a heated cat house, lined it with an old fox fur coat, a trench coat over the house, then a waterproof air force parka, another blanket, then an Indian blanket. He stayed warm.

I FOUND HIM A HOME! HE'S NOW A INSIDE HOUSE CAT!

He is the sweetest big boy and so happy he has a home now.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, We are now entering our 2nd week of above temps. After having a very cold week these temps are wonderful. You are so right about the 15 minutes at a time. I no longer care that what it used to take me a day to do takes me 3-4 days. At once it was a big deal. Now I just thank God for what I can do & take life one day at a time. Actually my life is more fun than it ever was. I am so looking forward to my birthday in 8 days. My last birthday was so miserable that I said this one would be fun. The only good thing about it was that I lived another year to have fun with my family. Last year the temps were about -40. My BF called to wish me a happy birthday & we both agreed to celebrate later. Then she took ill & passed away before we could enjoy our lunches out together.

Rosa, I am so happy for you. Your weekend trip sounded fantastic. Eating at those kinds of places is what I like to do when we are traveling from here to there. Like you say over packing is no big deal. For me I kind of like to know that I have clothes for whatever situation I am put into. New clothes because of weight is an added bonus.

DH is out for his morning walk. We are then going to the funeral of a 100 y/o friend. Her 3 DC are all about my age & we had so much playing across the street from our homes in the local school yard. The grade school is gone (replaced with new homes), but our childhood homes are still in good shape.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

LoriMI, It is nice to hear about your new bathroom remodeling project. We love to go to Shipshewana, IN. & Lancaster, PA. Such wonderful Amish craftsmen & also restaurants.
Valued Contributor

Twinny, most of the places we ate were Farm to Table. We both discovered that we like to eat in local places when out of town, never a chain. We had some great food, I ordered quail for the first time, tastes like a "gamey" chicken about the size of 2 hummingbirds, so I had plenty of room for dessert. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Esteemed Contributor

I have that Dennis Basso Faux leather Bomber jacket in two colors. It is terrific and most people think it is real leather. A258485 I like the fact that the sleeves have a zipper so if the sleeves feel a little long, they can be turned back without ruining the look.

I'm tired from lifting and moving some things all morning. With the health issue I have, I get tired easily and have to take breaks.

Twinny--You are very much like me; you do what you can and then stop for a break. I used to be able to do a lot at a time but now, I have to pace myself and take much longer. We are not other people; we do what we can. If they don't like it, then it is their problem, not ours. We know we are doing our best. The warmer temperatures are great. I do hope the weather is great when your birthday arrives. You have much to celebrate!

Lori--Your bathroom remodeling project sounds great. You will enjoy it so much when it is finished. As a cat lover, I so appreciate the steps you have taken to keep your front-declawed kitty warm and protected during the cold.

I've had lunch so it is now time to take a break and rest with the Kindle.