Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 1/15)

Good Morning Ladies! I didn't find our thread, so I thought I would start one.

DH's doctor's appointment went well yesterday, and he doesn't need to go back for a year unless there are problems. I did lots of shopping at Trader Joe's on the way home. I know some don't like TJ's that much, but I really enjoy going there. There are some very interesting things there, and prices on some items are very good. I did buy the croissants -- almond and mini, and we had almond this morning. They were good, but I found it too large for me (which is saying something.) I think they will be a rare treat for me.

Driving home was an adventure since the road was blocked due to a gas line problem (I think). I had to chose to turn right or left, and chose left. I ended up in the heart of downtown Tucson, which is very interesting, but made me nervous. Anyway, I did make it back to the highway and home. We went to the grocery store later, took a walk, and then I went to Curves.

We have a lunch to attend today (newcomers club), and I plan to go to Curves later.

What type of protein bars do you buy Jean? I would like to get a bit more protein in my diet, and I am trying to have a protein-filled afternoon snack. So far, it is mostly almonds, but....

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Gayle, Rosa, Marijane, Susan, LindaR, Karen, Babara, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, 1/15)

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It was good that I double checked before hitting the submit button as the thread wasn't there when I started composing. I'm glad yesterday went well despite the unplanned "tour." I buy the Pure Protein bars which range from 180 to 200 calories and have 20g of protein in them. They do not taste like many of the bars, and actually taste quite good. I have gotten them at WalMart and also on subscribe and save from Amazon.

I was up at 4:30am. Since I was alert and not sleepy, I just chose to stay up. I've been tackling old files from back when I kept everything. I've been comparing some utility bills from a little over ten years ago, and was surprised at how little they have increased in the 12 years. I think I'm better at managing the level of temperature, etc. I thought I had paid a ridiculous price for my glasses in August but the reality is that they were only $50 more than 12 years ago.

I have no shopping in mind. I'm having too much "fun" right now discovering things to leave the house in one form or another. I'm taking advantage of not working because of semester exams, etc. I'm doing it while the motivation exists.

I think I'll go to the city on Saturday. I haven't left the house in a week. I just decided the mail could wait at the Post Office for me.

I'm taking a break with a cup of coffee, and streaming some "Dexter" from Netflix. I did have SG on while shredding some papers but didn't buy. I do like many of her items but they are getting more expensive, something that doesn't work well with the guaranteed fixed retirement income.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning Linda!! I'm glad you had a good Doctor visit and a good trip yesterday! I love my Clif (crunchy peanut butter flavor) bars but they only have 11g protein and I'm thinking that isn't a very high number. I keep those things in the car, at work and home for a quick pick me up when I'm hungry and in a hurry.

I had a lovely time with LindaR last night. It's always good to get together with friends and I got a double dose yesterday. It was good for my heart but not my diet. ha ha. Today I am off to the dentist over lunch break so maybe I can make it up. It is my last visit for a while - Yay!!

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Good that you had a great time with friends yesterday. I do hope the dentist visit goes well for you.

My Florida niece is back in the hospital from the rehab center. She was doing her best trying to walk again but apparently it may be a losing battle. She became ill and was admitted to the hospital where the staff told her SO and ex-husband that she was going into renal failure.

I see Saturday is an all-day beauty day. I think that is a great time to go to the city. I need to check and see who can join me. At our age, all those "miraculous" beauty products will not reverse any aging effects. Money saved on that can be used for a Spring Fashion refresher.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Glad you had fun with LindaR last night Kathleen. I'm really looking forward to meeting Barbara next Monday.

Funny thing Jean, I asked DD, and she said she buys the Pure Protein Bars most often. Of course, the boys (particularly the oldest and youngest) are athletes, and need the protein. She said that they have a nice assortment (three types) at a good price at COSTCO. I will probably look at them the next time that I visit COSTCO, but I will try a single bar or two from Wal-Mart to make sure that I like the taste. I don't like the taste of some bars, and I wouldn't want to have a bunch of them on hand.

Hope you have a good time in the city on Saturday Jean. We haven't lived there long enough to make those types of utility comparisons, but you are doing great! I know that the rates around here have gone up, sometimes way up just in the past few years.

Fingers crossed with your dentist visit Kathleen. I'm not looking forward to our dentist visit next week, but hopefully there are no problems.

So sorry to hear about your niece, Jean. Prayers.

Valued Contributor

Love reading your postings! Upbeat you all are!

It's was 0 degrees this morning, cold and sunny! I love the cold, I'd make an excellent eskimo.

Been remodeling here. I'm on my 4th room. Gutted a bathroom and started over. It's going great!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, I'm glad I got to go out while it was sunny yesterday, as it's cold and overcast today, with a chance of rain. I just took the dogs out a ride and bought them bones and dog biscuits, and treated myself to dinner at the new Popeye's. Today I have to go out and make my mortgage payment; apart from that I have homework that needs to be done. One book that's needed hasn't arrived yet; hopefully it's at the PO.

I had the most awesome surprise yesterday, just when I needed something to cheer me up: A large box arrived from FedEx; a dear friend (whom I probably won't meet in person until heaven) went to my Amazon wish list and sent me a bunch of stuff that was marked "high priority." Some fun things, but also some essentials - like a Maglight flashlight. I have some cheapie ones, but read that those are the ones that the police use as they're reliable and they also make good weapons. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} That made not just my day but my month, as things have been so tight. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

So sorry to hear about your niece, Jean - I put her on the prayer list on my website. She's been there all along actually, but I posted an update.

Compared to NY and HI, the utility bills here are very low. In fact, the low cost of living is probably the best reason to live in this area. My electric runs me about $35 in winter, and my gas (which includes heat) averages $65 a month. My internet is actually the highest utility bill I have.

An all-day beauty show wouldn't be of interest to me even if I did have TV. I used to enjoy the all-day cooking shows when they'd come out with new items, and also the all day-crafts shows - those were great fun. IMHO it's a shame that so many women spend a fortune on what they look like on the outside, but have no concern of what their inner beauty (or lack thereof) is like. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

LindaL, I can't believe you find the croissants too large....they're mostly air! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I could easily eat two....but don't. The almond are very good, but the chocolate are irresistable.

Guess I'd better get moving - have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Lori I'm envious!! I can't imagine remodeling. There is so much I'd like to do but the thought of making a permanent (expensive) mistake keeps me from doing anything. lol I like the cold too, but here in Texas that is easy to say. I suspect if I had to shovel snow I may not think it was so pretty.

Linda I know you two will have a good time together. Smart move to try those bars first, I've made a few mistakes in that area at Sam's and had to unload some things on someone. Smiley Happy

Jean, sorry to hear about your niece. I'm glad your bills have not climbed much in the past years.

Back from the dentist - thank goodness!

Respected Contributor

It was great getting together with Kathleen last night. Weather was misty rain (slick roads). She texted me that she missed the turn off (LOL). I had to admit I turned the wrong way and had to loop back also---and I live in this town!. Time passed way too quickly. We had doglets with us. Venue was very busy---always is packed but we really didn't have to wait long to be seated.

Went home to watch ""Top Chef"". Stayed up way too late and then wide awake at 4:00 am.

Respected Contributor

Jean: So sorry to hear about your niece. I have a cousin who has multiple health issues. He is much younger than me. He has been in the hospital and just moved to rehab. We lives in Wis. now so I don't see him often. Remembering all those fun time when we ere kids.