Esteemed Contributor

Need a new suit: where do I go?

Hi Everyone,

I had several suits that I used to wear constantly, but then went back to the clinical side of things and wore scrubs all day. These suits just sat there and finally I took a really good look at them. Though I loved them and received much wear (all Jones New York), they had seen better days, so I donated them to the Goodwill program that outfits women trying to get job interviews so they can get back on their feet.

Now I have a super prospect at a highly visible medical school and I must have at least one suit. Went to the Lord & Taylor website over the weekend, which turned into half a day of frustration.

The last time I went into our Nordstrom, 3 months ago, they had suits for 20-somethings. I don't really care for the Brooks Brothers look. Really like L&T.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction toward a store/site with classical looking suits with a bit of flare? Thanks so much in advance.

~R

Contributor

Re: Need a new suit: where do I go?

Try Dillard's. They have a good website, if you don't have a store near you.
Frequent Contributor

Ann Taylor can be excellent for simple but classic suits and separates.

Honored Contributor

Yes to Dillard's and Ann Taylor!

Respected Contributor

I remember wearing Kasper suits. They were available in most department stores as well as their own free standing stores. It seems separates are the way to go today.

I haven't bought a suit in about 5 years. The last one I bought was a Tahari and I bought it at L&T.

Honored Contributor

What about Talbots? I also agree with Ann Taylor.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Dillards' Antiono Melani has nice suits that have an "upbeat" touch. Extra seaming, shoulder treatments and the like.

Peter Nyguard crepe seperates are very classic and beautifully cut. I personally don't feel crepe is right for all occasions.

Personally, I perfer a smooth weave which can bw worn year round. I would go Jones, Kasper, Anne Klein at Belks or Macys. Talbots of course is fantastic.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all for your suggestions. This will definitely keep me busy!

I used to live in a city with a Dillards and hadn't even thought of them. Really appreciate the heads-up on not only Dillards, but Kasper as well. That one is ringing a bell.

Great info!

Honored Contributor

I just got my first suit in a long time at Macy's.Pale Pink jacket with navy lapels and a pink skirt plus navy pants.The jacket & skirt are a boucle fabric but the pants are more of a gaberdine type fabric. I love to have at least one suit in my closet at all times because they are always appropriate for anything except formal. It is more of a classic design not at all trendy because I need it to last a long time.

Contributor

Ann Taylor or The Limited. The Limited has excellent sales.