Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 1/13)

Good morning, shopping friends. I was to work today but I cancelled last night. I just didn't feel like venturing out at that point in time, especially with the projected weather. Today, however, I feel much better and believe I could have worked. Last evening, however, I decided it would be good to cancel. This translates to a day lost of pay, but that can be made up by the lack of some purchases.

The heart monitoring is almost over; three days and nights to go. I'm so used to wearing it 24/7 for 3 weeks that it feels like part of me now. I know it will not change the diagnosis; the purpose was to see how well the meds were regulating the problem over the long term. It is something that can come and go and when present can last for varying times. During the last 3 EKGs I've had, the test showed "perfect" reading but we know there had been episodes in between. The goal is to keep this from getting worse and to avoid surgery which is not always successful.

I did see the First Aid Ultra Repair cream set of two 12oz jars offered today. That is a significant savings for a good product. One 6oz jar with free shipping is $30 at Amazon, so the equivalent of one 12 oz jar would be $60. The QVC deal would provide 24oz (two jars) for $49+ plus shipping. This is a good product I use, so I'm considering this as a purchase.

I see they are promoting the Scrub Daddy cleaning sponges now. Believe it or not, those things work well but I got mine at Amazon. I always comparison shop, and the Amazon price when I got them was better when the total price was considered.

Remember all those little pitches of "just a dollar a day" when a host pitches an item on easy pay? Well, a dollar a day doesn't seem like much but if you take that dollar a day equivalent for one item and tuck it away, you will have $365 saved in one year. $2 a day is $730 a year saved. It is the small things that can add up.

Now, this is somewhat harder to do for many because of the amount represented. If you are tempted by a $20 item (think $20 bill alert), and don't buy it, take the $20 saved and put it away in your savings envelope. At the end of the month when the card statement shows, you will either have paid the card company for the purchase or you will have paid yourself. One $20 bill alert saved each month is the equivalent of $240 a year saved. People often say I can't afford an item or a trip, etc., but during the year, they let the money to others, money that could have been saved for the purchase or experience if it had been saved.

Why not go to your QVC order status, Amazon order status, etc. or even a card statement and commit yourself to a 10% or 5% reduction in what is spent? It is a small step but those small steps lead to a savings that you can use for something else.

Do I need the First Aid Ultra Repair cream now? No, as I have a half jar left. I just have to evaluate if I want to purchase the what is almost a "Buy One Get One " deal or risk that another great deal like that will be offered again. Another thing to consider is the reality that if I had not seen the deal presented, would I have been interested in purchasing?

I'm still going through things, so it is time to end this and get back to "work." I cannot tackle big house chores in one big time obligation; I have to take breaks or try to do something each day which is my goal for the year. A few minutes each day is better than a full day each week or every two weeks.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, 1/13)

Oops have no idea what happened to my post above.....will try again later. Marijane
Respected Contributor

Marijane!! I hate it when my response shows up with nothing in it. That has happened to me a couple of times.

Good morning Jean! Sometimes it's worthwhile to take a day off, even if you have to curb a little spending as a result. When the kids were younger I found myself saying "we're broke" a lot, and eventually realized that was a lie. The truth is that I make choices every day that lead to where I am at in my life.

I work with several people who love to complain and go on and on about their situation but do nothing to change it. I get very frustrated when I have to spend time around those people. Everything we do is a choice, and leads to where we are at physically, financially, emotionally, etc. I'm trying to remember to extend grace to those who are so unhappy and don't realize it. And not be so judgmental, because I've been pretty miserable too in the past due to my choices.

DD came out last night with her best friend and we all went out to eat together at Red Lobster. It was fun to be with them. Then I went home and tried to clean up a bit. This morning came in early to get some things done, and will stay late to have my car looked out. That is about it for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am sorry that you didn't feel well enough to go to school today, but like you say, the $$$ can be made up one or the other. It doesn't seem like you are almost done with the heart monitoring machine. I like the Scrub daddy too. I bought 2 of them at the QVC Studio store for $1.84 each. They wanted $19.99 for a 6 pack. I put one of them into my DD's christmas stocking. She really likes it too. I totally agree that a dollar here & a dollar there add up over time.

DH is out for his morning walk. It is a bit cooler than yesterday but still sunny. We are expecting upper 30's by Friday. DH has an appt. tomorrow at the hearing center. His new hearing aids are bothering him big time. He can hear even the least noise that there is. Like the fridge motor running, chewing crunchy food, doors opening especially automatic doors at stores drive him nuts right now. I am hoping thy can tone them down for him.

I had a very sleepless night last night. I got an email from one of my DH's brother & SIL last evening saying that their SIL no longer wants to be married. This is our niece & her DH that moved to our hometown in July after purchasing a home here. They met in college & are both music major grads. from one of our State Univ. Our niece got a job in our hometown at a recording studio 2 years ago & commuted from their hometown (where my BIL & SIL) live & our niece grew up in to our hometown. Her DH was the band dir. at their local HS. Then this fall he started as the choral director at our local HS. It is puzzling as he seems like such a fine young man & comes from a loving family like our niece did. The truly sad part is that they have a beautiful 14 month old daughter. We are all devastated at this point. I did get an email from my SIL this morning saying that they are both happy in their jobs here but he doesn't want to be married any more. Now I feel better.

Hugs to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, sorry about not working, but if you felt it wasn't a good idea last night, it probably was a good decision. I have that cream on my wishlist, right now I have too many containers of cream to use up here. I have heard good review on the First Aid Ultra Repair cream. I have never tried the Scrub Daddy, I have seen it in Bed Bath and Beyond but have never tried it.

LindaL - The other day you asked how old the GS's are: they range from 15 to almost 21. We took two of them to dinner last night. There parents are on a short vacation, so someone had to feed them supper.

Kathleen - I know what you mean when you say you are broke, then you sit there and think about recent purchases and say, yeah now I know why I am broke. Glad you had fun with DD and her friend last night.

Twinny - Sorry about the family problems, I don't know what else to say about it.

Well off to do a little decluttering, hope everyone has a great morning.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Glad you are feeling better this morning Jean. I have no doubt that you will make up for the lack of $$ from working today. It doesn't seem like you have been wearing that monitor for so long -- easy for me to say. LOL I know I felt like it took so long to recover from my accident, but it was really less than four months. I had noticed that "deal" on the First Aid Ultra Repair cream a while ago, and it is on my wishlist. Decisions, decisions..... Meanwhile, I am still thinking about buying the Clarisonic. Every time I use the alternative brush (Olay), I get so irritated. But, then I remember that there are many more important needs, including helping DD and family with more necessary things like paying doctor co-pays.

Sorry you lost your post Marijane. I lost part of a report on the bookclub yesterday, and it really irritated me. I think the report I sent out wasn't as detailed as I had wanted, but.....

Glad you had a nice dinner last night Kathleen. I know what you mean about not liking to be around complainers who don't make changes that could make things better. That used to bother me a lot when I was working. Not so much of a problem now. I have to say that I am sympathetic to people who are unhappy, but have trouble making changes. I tried so hard to make my first marriage work, but I was pretty miserable. I don't think I complained to others that much, but I certainly complained to myself. LOL Change can be hard.

So sorry about your niece and her DH twinny. I am glad they are both happy with their jobs, but it is such a shame that he no longer wants to be married. Hope your DH gets some help with his hearing aids.

Waves to Arlene, Susan, LindaR, Karen, Rosa, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Bookclub was good last night, but what an eye-opener. As Jean often posts on FB, you really don't know what someone else has gone through.

We have the senior lunch program today, and I hope to go to the gym or Curves later.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- That is interesting Susan -- my grandchildren range from 14 to 21, and the 14 year old turns 15 next month. Good luck with your de-cluttering.

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Jean: Glad you are at the end of the medical work up. It must be great to get that part over with.

Twinny: Sorry to hear of the marital problems. It is hard to feel upbeat when a couple is falling apart. I will tell you that years ago I was married and we had a son. Everyone thought of us as the "perfect couple" that was squared away. We didn't make it. Years later after being divorced I met a wonderful man and we recently celebrated our 14the wedding anniversary. I didn't think being happy was possible, but it was. My family did what they could to be supportive of me and that made a big difference.

Rainy, cold here. No walking for me today. I could do a exercise DVD but I am awaiting for motivation.

Everyone have a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I love this one. An individual gave me this as a gift a couple of years ago and I liked it so much that I protected it and not used it. I found it in a "keepsake" drawer. Basically, it is a kitchen towel with a dinosaur on it, loaded down with shopping bags, handbags and a shoe box. Printed on it are these words:

Shopasaurus: 1. A creature who delights in browsing through malls and other retail stores, 2. Any beast gratified by obtaining merchandise in exchange for currency, plastic cards or personal checks.

Kathleen--People do make choices. Many choose to complain as that is their thing. If they took away their target of complaint, they would just focus upon another complaint. I don't think they appreciate "When life gives you lemons, then make lemonade out of it." We all have negatives in our life but we also have positives. We can choose to focus upon the negative or the positive. If we don't like the negative and it is in our control to change, then we can make an effort to change. If we cannot control or change the negatives, then we have to change our mindset or how we feel about it. We might just simply say, "I don't like it," and then move on to something positive. I am so happy that your daughter seems so pleased about her choices, and that you are pleased with your choices.

Twinny--You got a great deal on the Scrub Daddy. They last so long, so they are definitely cost effective. The hearing aid people can retune the hearing aids to make them less sensitive to DH so I hope the adjustment goes well. I got mine at Costco. I remember taking out the trash one night and hearing crickets for the first time in ages. I am so sorry about the impending divorce in the family. That is, indeed, a very stressful time for everyone involved and hope it is the best decision for the people involved.

Marijane--Sorry you lost your post. Sometimes, I've gone to post and accidentally hit the "cancel" instead of "submit."

Gayle--Motivation is a big factor in getting exercise in; another is picking the right exercise. I have a great selection of exercise dvds which are not being used right now.

Linda--I know you don't like the Olay brush as well as the Clarisonic but right now, you have other expenses. I'm sure there will be another Clarisonic deal at QVC or at Amazon in the coming months. I've tried both brushes and agree the Clarisonic seems to be better but that might be imagination on my part as I've read reviews where some could tell no difference.

I had to take a break and watch Denim and Co. It is amazing how much difference 24 hours can make in the way one feels. I still haven't done anything about the First Aid Ultra Repair. Time in making a decision can be our friend.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Contributor

So glad to check in and see all my friends here! I just don't stop by as often as I'd like to. Jean, I'm really glad your monitoring is coming to an end. I hope that the data collected will result in positive outcome for you! BTW, I use the First Aid Ultra for my eczema/mild psoriasis and it really helps, especially throughout winter. Thanks for the tip on the special, because I am nearly out. Susan you inspire me, because I need to declutter. I would be embarrassed to have you visit me, because you must have the neatest house, and mine always looks so cluttered.
Contributor

Ipad STILL doesn't allow paragraphs! Marijane how do you do it? LindL, what book did you discuss?